Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bontrager "approved" aluminium wheels weight?

Does anyone have any reliable information as to the weight of the Bontrager "approved" aluminium wheels that tend to come on most of the aluminium and some of the low-end carbon Trek models?

I'm trying to objectively consider wheel upgrades for my Madone 2.1, which has these fitted.

I would just take them off the bike and weigh them myself, but I don't have any suitable scales!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

996ducati | 7 years ago
0 likes

In case anyone is interested the stock wheels on my TREK 1.5c have just been on the scales of truth.

Front inc skewer but no tyre or tube=925g

Rear inc skewer, no cassette or tyre/tube=1275g

Total is a rather robust 2.2KG, well worth a Campagnolo Zonda upgrade for around £260 and weight 1570g

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

It will make the bike ride much nicer....but if you don't want to spend that much cash just buy some tyres for the summer and they will improve comfort, speed weight and handling.
Then the wheels next year  3

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

The boat anchor comment is one that seems to come up fairly often!

I didn't intend to buy a set of scales simply to weigh them, hence asking here, and Googling hasn't come up with anything reliable. The handful of relevant results tend to see people quoting anything between 1.8kg (not bad for stock wheels) and 3kg!

I expect they're somewhere around 2kg, so just trying to determine whether something like a £300-£400 wheel upgrade would actually be much of an upgrade at all.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Exactly the same weight as a small boat anchor  26

torquerulesok | 9 years ago
0 likes

Buy or borrow a set of luggage or kitchen scales. Cost £6 from Amazon. Apart from anything else, a luggage scale will give you the actual weight of your bike, which might be quite different to the published weight.

Remove the cassette, the tyres, tubes, and rim tape and weigh your existing wheels.

Or Google your wheel set's weight. Weight Weenies is a good place to start but don't get your hopes up, they probably don't list your Bontragers.

Get depressed.

Then buy a pair of Enve 25 tub wheels with CK45 hubs and Conti Comps. True all-in weight with three layers of glue is 1430g. No flats in over 2,000 miles with sublime handling.

Plan B (if tubs are too scary): buy some Boras.

0 likes

Buy or borrow a set of luggage or kitchen scales. Cost £6 from Amazon. Apart from anything else, a luggage scale will give you the actual weight of your bike, which might be quite different to the published weight.

Remove the cassette, the tyres, tubes, and rim tape and weigh your existing wheels.

Or Google your wheel set's weight. Weight Weenies is a good place to start but don't get your hopes up, they probably don't list your Bontragers.

Get depressed.

Then buy a pair of Enve 25 tub wheels with CK45 hubs and Conti Comps. True all-in weight with three layers of glue is 1430g. No flats in over 2,000 miles with sublime handling.

0 likes

Get depressed.

0 likes

Get depressed.

0 likes

Get depressed.

fukawitribe replied to torquerulesok | 9 years ago
0 likes
torquerulesok wrote:

Have you any idea how many Trek Madone 2.1s you can buy for the same price as either of those suggestions ?  1

For the OP, I vaguely remember weighing mine before I swapped them out and I *think* it was about 1.9kg with tape.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

my trek 1.9's were nearly 2kg !!!

Latest Comments