Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The Red Rose Ride

So, I've been itching to get out and do something, so far this year all I've managed to do is get in the miles commuting, and almost killing myself on a ride out to climb up the East Chevin (I think the pros will do it a bit quicker than I managed when they come to do the Tour deYorkshire). Anyway, I've got my eye on the Red Rose Ride and was wondering if anyone has done it previously and what their experiences of it were (other than distance, what can I expect if I decide to do it).

I did find a write up of the 2012 event and it sounded like hell (basically 200km of riding through a storm into a headwind that followed them the entire way). I guess my real worries are that seeing as its snowing and blustery now, the event is only 2 weeks away, so I'm not holding out for much weather wise.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Otley, ilkley, keighley and surrounding town's have plenty of hills to keep a keen cyclist busy for years trying to master. My sister lives locally, I will popping back to makes a 50 mile route to encompass some of the more famous hills.

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Slightly off topic, well alot actually  1 I purchased my bike from chevin cycles. I went for a little hill session down to pool, up old pool bank back, into Otley then up East chevin road. At 1 mile long and in parts some 20% and more in gradient it is a very stiff challenge for an average or below hill climber.

PonteD replied to CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

Slightly off topic, well alot actually  1 I purchased my bike from chevin cycles. I went for a little hill session down to pool, up old pool bank back, into Otley then up East chevin road. At 1 mile long and in parts some 20% and more in gradient it is a very stiff challenge for an average or below hill climber.

I'm definitely in the below-below-average category, my legs started to go just after the flyover. I wish it were closer so I could make it a regular challenge, I doubt I'd be any better on fresh legs, but after a 30 mile ride out to it, I'm using the excuse that I was tired (we won't mention the 10 minute recovery roll down the hill into Otley)  4 .

Latest Comments