Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Top job chaps.

I was on a metric century ride yesterday, and for the first time in over a year, the puncture fairy visited me, on the homeward section. It was a valve failure, and not a penetration puncture. I had spare tubes and pump handy, so it was no biggie. I was pleasantly surprised how many other cyclists stopped to ask if I needed any help. It was nice to see a bit of camaraderie in this day and age. If anyone who frequents these here parts was one of the chaps / chap-esses who stopped to check if the guy with the upturned bike, heading towards Emsworth, from Chichester, at about 12 yesterday, needed any assistance, I'd just like to say a big thank you, and keep it up  41

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

mtm_01 | 9 years ago
0 likes

You always ask because one day it'll be you on the other side of it.

I punctured on the Paris - Roubaix sportive, spare tube had a hole in it, pump broke, ended up sat by the side of the road in a town called Orchies waiting for the broom wagon. French guy in a car pulled alongside, asked if I was ok, explained the situation and he put me and the bike in his car, drove to his house and gave me a track pump and new tube.

Chapeau!

tomisitt | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not the North London/Herts ones! Stopped to fix a puncture a couple of weeks back in Potters Bar on a Sunday and I reckon 20+ cyclists rode past, only one of whom stopped to see if I needed any help. Miserable feckers.

wycombewheeler replied to tomisitt | 9 years ago
0 likes
tomisitt wrote:

Not the North London/Herts ones! Stopped to fix a puncture a couple of weeks back in Potters Bar on a Sunday and I reckon 20+ cyclists rode past, only one of whom stopped to see if I needed any help. Miserable feckers.

even worse around staines/esher. I walked 4 miles to staines following a second puncture, well over 30 cyclist passed me, not a single offer of help.

arfa | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's part of the code isn't it ? Just as I have stopped to help others, others have stopped to help me, one of them even memorably coming out of his house into the pouring rain offering me an inner tube, track pump and a cup of coffee ! Reinforces the view that cyclists are by and large decent folk  3

Man of Lard | 9 years ago
0 likes

If I see a fellow cyclist at the side of the road I always ask if they're ok - not that I can necessarily provide a suitable tube or anything on the spot but at the very least I can loan a pump (they do break) or offer a patch...

I hope that if I'm the one at the side of the road that my fellow cyclists would do the same for me.

Redvee | 9 years ago
0 likes

The last victim of the PF I saw I stopped and asked if he was OK, he thanked me but refused my help as he had it in hand, albeit with a mini pump and short valves . The karma was returned when my front light on the other bike died and I was at the roadside trying to get it working when a passing cyclist stopped and asked if I was OK.

Latest Comments