Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Boardman CFi - Shifting cable bites into Frame

My wife has really enjoyed her Boardman cfi but suddenly the SLX shifters with the 105 derailleurs front and back have become stiff. Our excellent LBS has made it much better but the bottom line is that apparently because of the internal cable routing and sharp bend to the from derailleur without a teflon sleeve, the wire has started to bite into the frame making it stiff to shift on the front chain rings.

Does anyone else know of this problem on their Boardman or any rectifications?
Has anyone drilled the frame and put a grommet or spacer in to increase the curve and broaden the feed-in point to the frame?

My worry is that this is going to total the bike and a new one needed.

Not so much the money just that she loves it but one wouldn't buy another if it's an in-built problem

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

artichoke1974 | 4 years ago
0 likes

I'm having similar problems with my Air 9.0 - trying to build up a list of people that have had similar problems.

Grateful for any feedback.

Jack Osbourne snr | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cable routing on the whole Boardman range is awful as far as I can tell.

I have two Boardman bikes, a hybrid and a CX, both of which have scars from shit cable routing, badly trimmed and fitted cables/outers or a combination of both.

The fork on my hybrid has grooves about 2mm deep because I didn't do anything about it.

jrbuk | 9 years ago
0 likes

In fairness they've done a v good job of improving it and we didn't buybit from them though have bought three others there. It's a design fault it appears with the cable wearing into the carbon frame at the bottom bracket

fenix | 9 years ago
0 likes

The shop should be fixing this for you surely ?

Latest Comments