Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is this Saronni's Colnago or not?

I bought this bike 2 years ago.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Paul J | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi Rony87,

The two Colnago catalogues on the net that show Saronni models, that I've been able to find, show them as being the same spec tubing and generally pretty much identical to Colnago Super frames, bar Saronni detailing in place of Colnago.

I had heard of Colnago Sport. What I've read, those seem to be frames Colnago sub-contracted out (to Benotto possibly) - seem to be nice mid-end, Italian vintage frames (as are the Technotrat Saronni's), but with a heavier grade of Columbus tubing and not real, in-house Colnago. Can't say I've heard of a Colnago Sport Saronni before.

Paul J | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have an early 80s Colnago Saronni. The lug work on this bike looks a bit different to late 70s / early 80s Colnago at least. Most tellingly it should have either the Colnago club emblem, or a Saronni "S" in the fork shoulder and/or the down-tube/head-tube lug, on the top of the down-tube. The seat-stays should have "SARONNI" imprinted into them at the top, where they are welded to the seat-tube, if it is a Colnago Saronni. Also, it seems to have 3 cable-guides on the top-tube, and Colnago switched to 2-guides at some point towards the end of the 70s, AFAIK before they started making Saronnis.

At some point in the earlyish mid-80s Colnago stopped making bikes with Saronni tribute details. Then at some point in the mid-80s (85, 85?) another company, Tecnotrat, picked up the rights to "Saronni" and built bicycles under that name. Tecnotrat used a cheaper, heavier grade of Columbus tubing to the Colnago Super-spec Saronni framed, and these bikes didn't have emblems cut-out in the lugs or stays, AFAICT.

Based on this, I'd say the bicycle in your photos is, at best, a Tecnotrat Saronni that has had Colnago stickers put on. There definitely is nothing in those photos that shows any of the hallmarks of an early 80s Colnago anyway.

Rony87 replied to Paul J | 9 years ago
0 likes

I read that Colnago has a model without emblems on the frame. Colnago Sport is that. And my bike is a Colnago Sport Saronni. And they have 3 cable-guides. Look pictures about Sport series.

Rony87 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I found it on a danish website. This is a Colnago Sport Saronni Red with Shimano 600 sets.  1

Welsh boy | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's not the one he won the world championships at Goodwood on because that had Campag equipment on it. The frame also looks to big to be his bike so I would say that it almost certainly is not his personal bike.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

The briefest of internet searches suggests that Saronni Colnagos were a model of bike rather than a single bike produced for someone. I suggest using the internet to look for more information.

Try 'saronni colnago' as a search term in Google.

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/828280-colnago-saronni.html

http://www.cycleexif.com/colnago-saronni

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67706

The Rake | 9 years ago
0 likes

Is it not just a Colnago called a Saronni?

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Pictures don't work, so we can't tell.

Latest Comments