Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Kask Aero helmets - Protone or Infinity Aero

Hi all

I'm looking to replace my summer crash helmet this year, and have narrowed it down to one of the above. From what I can tell, the Protone is more recent, but doesn't look as "aero" as the Infinity. Do any of you know which is more aero? Is the Protone a replacement for the Infinity or is it a different hat altogether?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Must be Mad | 9 years ago
0 likes

I noticed one of the Sky riders using the Protone at the track world champs recently - so it must be pretty aero despite the vents!

2 Wheeled Idiot replied to Must be Mad | 9 years ago
0 likes
Must be Mad wrote:

I noticed one of the Sky riders using the Protone at the track world champs recently - so it must be pretty aero despite the vents!

Elia Viviani.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

If its not for racing, I really wouldn't bother going for the full aero infinity when the protone will be so much more practical and more comfortable on climbs and hotter summer days, whilst still being aero....team sky use it in road races over the infinity even in normal weather so it can't be massively less aero... And even if it was that will only be a small portion of the total drag.

0 likes

If its not for racing, I really wouldn't bother going for the full aero infinity when the protone will be so much more practical and more comfortable on climbs and hotter summer days, whilst still being aero....team sky use it in road races over the infinity even in normal weather so it can't be massively less aero... And even if it was that will only be a small portion of the total drag.

MrMajic replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Excellent. Thanks for the advice.

Martyn_K | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not sure how often you will need to pop your glasses in your lid but it is worth noting that the Infinity does not appear to easily do this.

The Protone was design to let glasses be stashed in the front. I wanted aero before the Protone was released and ended up going for the Spesh Evade for this very reason.

MrMajic replied to Martyn_K | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, that's not something that I do but thanks for making the point. The Evade looks good too, but I'm sort of set on getting a Kask.

edvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

The Protone was developed with Sky and made use of Jaguars wind tunnel apparently  16

0 likes

I have no idea on the actual drag data between them and that is completely dependant on head position and other stuff....the protons is *probably* pretty quick for everyone and also sky had input into designing it-maybe saw some tunneltime?
What will the helmet be used for?

0 likes

Just general riding to be honest (but I do try and go as fast as I can most of the time!), sportives and maybe some time trialing. I've got a fairly aero bike, and am big on stuff being efficient, so the thought of an aero helmet really does appeal.

The thing is, there's not much cost in it, and there are lots of vents at the back of the Infinity, so it looks like it should be reasonably well vented.

edvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

The Protone is the new helmet, not a replacement, and is due in shops soon.

As said above, it's designed to be aero, but useable day to day. The Infinity is definitely a more full on aero helmet.

I'm using a Protone at the moment, and it's a great helmet. Feels very aero compared to my old Trek one. My colleague is using an Infinity, and loves it, especially the ability to move the panel and switch from full aero to not. That said, neither of us have used them in very hot weather, so their cooling ability is still to be seen.

IMO the Protone looks a better helmet and is cheaper, so that's the one I'd go for for general riding.

MrMajic replied to edvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, I sort of like the idea of the "switch" panel, I'm still not decidded, but there's plenty of time.

0 likes

(From what I can workout) The protone is designed to be an everyday aero helmet, still enough vents to keep your head cool in the hottest conditions but aero-ish and enough to provide an advantage.
However I think the infinity is designed to be an all out aero helmet with no compromise and just enough venting (with the thingy open) to be usable in most condition- not the hottest mountain climbs etc... one of my mates used one for racing on the track (outdoors) last year and he seemed perfectly happy with it even in 27+ degrees.
If its for general riding, racing and training I would go with the protone, if for fast, flatter races in non sweltering conditions I would choose the infinty.

0 likes

Great, thanks that's helpful. Any idea how much more "aero" the Infinity over the Protone? If it's marginal then I think you're right in that the Protone would be the better option, also I think that's the one that was used for the Tour de France.

Latest Comments