Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rear wheel catching down tube

I have a 6-month old bike that's only done a few hundred miles. On my last ride I discovered my rear wheel was intermittently catching the bracket holding the front derailleur onto the down tube. There's very little clearance in this area on my bike but I can't understand why it's suddenly started catching. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
Thanks to everyone for the advice, it seems the wheel is out of true radially so it's going to my local bike shop, who said they might be able to sort it but it can be difficult with used wheels. Thanks again

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

fenix | 9 years ago
0 likes

So what was the result? This has been running since February now.

horizontal dropout | 9 years ago
0 likes

ps, hey get outta here bigmel I'm the only horizontal dropout round here!

horizontal dropout | 9 years ago
0 likes

Has the derailleur moved? You might have to loosen the cable to check. If it's a carbon bike find the correct torque for tightening the bracket and use a torque wrench.

monty dog | 9 years ago
0 likes

The wheel could have gone out out-of-round? Most modern frames have vertical drop-outs, so wheel shouldn't move too much in drop outs even with a loose QR.

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

if your rear wheel is catching your down tube, it's far more than a broken axle. That sounds more like a broken frame.
I guess you meant *seat* tube...;)

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

I am not certain on this point at all but I think that some road tyres may stretch a tiny bit over time...as I say I'm not really certain but this could be a maybe if everything else is mechanically sound
Also check that the wheel isn't bent or the wheel isn't out of true radially, this will mean the radius of the wheel is larger in some points than other, causing intermittent rubbing. If it is out of true you will need to take it to a bike shop to be rebuilt...or just buy a new wheel.

MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes

Could be a broken axle.

backonthebike replied to MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice

backonthebike replied to backonthebike | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks very much for the advice

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

The tyre could potentially be damaged and have a strange lump or bulge that will cause it to rub....if this is the case do not ride the tire at all until it is replaced, could be dangerous and split at any point

backonthebike replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks very much, I will check that

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

have you fitted bigger tyres ?

backonthebike replied to therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've not changed the tyres/wheels, which is why I found it a bit strange, but I'm going to check the QR and hope it's something as simple as that. Thank you

bigmel | 9 years ago
0 likes

Assuming your bike frame has clearance for the wheel and tyre you have fitted (!) then here is how to do up your quick release properly . . .
Undo the QR lever, then lean over and put your chest on the saddle so that your weight is supported by the bike. This will seat the axle properly in the vertical dropouts. With your weight resting on the bike, do up the QR.
Make sure it requires a stiff push with the palm of your hand to close (it should leave an imprint on your palm for a few moments).
If too easy (or impossible) to close, open the QR and adjust the drive-side nut to change the tension required.
The QR lever should close into the triangle formed by the chain and seat stays on the left hand side to be neat and out of the way.

Don't tell me you have horizontal dropouts . . .

backonthebike replied to bigmel | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've not changed the tyres/wheels from new but thanks for your advice, I will check the QR. I have vertical dropouts.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

The only time it has happened to me was when my rear quick release was left loose. I rode about 70km in a race and couldn't work out why I couldn't stand up on a climb...

backonthebike replied to crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd best check that out, I hope that's all it is. Thanks very much for this.

Latest Comments