Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Anyone have experience of Ksryium SLS?

I'm sorry but it's another 'what wheel'? question.
So, the Powertap is heading off to ebay as I went to a crank based today to give me freedom of wheel choice.
Want something that looks good and is an all rounder (without looking like 'all the gear - no idea), so will be staying away from carbon efforts. Current wheels are Open Pro and have some Fulcrum Racing Quattro which came with the bike originally which I could try.
Man in shop recommended Mavic Ksyrium SLS as an inbetweenynotwaytoocostly wheelset, and they look the part without being OTT. Have one tick from a mate who rides them and gives thumbs up.
I'm 92k and spend my time riding alone or trying to hang on when not alone. I certainly won't be racing anywhere.
Ideally would get something built by someone I could go back to, but this seems to only be an option with more basic wheels or carbon. Am I missing something?
Thanks,
Eeb.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

naffets | 9 years ago
0 likes

ksyriums are pretty bomb proof, had a few sets in the past from low to high end and have only worn down rims. Have a set of slrs at mo which are great for climbing maybe not as aero as cosmics which I had before.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

There are two opposing schools of thought regarding wheels.
Some people think that factory wheels are OK, and some think that handbuilt wheels are OK.
The handbuilt wheel boys will emphasise the repairability of their choice and the easy availability of spares, and will often disparage the factory choice for the opposite reasons.
The factory built wheel supporters will suggest that handbuilts are a touch old fashioned and don't need to be repaired.

The truth lies somewhere between.

I used handbuilts because when I started there were no other options. When factory built wheels came out, I used them. I have had no problems with factory built wheels other than difficulty obtaining spokes to repair them... but that was on a pair of 9 year old Mavics.

Beware the usual cycling guru bollocks about handbuilts; the only wheels I threw away in disgust were a pair of hand built wheels. Equally, beware factory wheels if you are rough/fat/clumsy or stupid with your wheels; it can be costly.

TL:DR; get some Ksyriums.

Latest Comments