Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New set of forks required

Hope the wise people on here can help.

I need a new set of forks for a Focus Cayo (carbon if it makes a difference).

I have seen a set that look fairly close to my old set but I am not so sure of the size.
Are forks on different size bikes, across a specific range, a standard size?

The ad states "Focus Carbon 700c Road Bike Fork, 270mm Tapered Steerer, 9mm Dropouts" and "Steerer Tapers From 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" ".

I am unsure of the size required and can't find any info online.

TIA

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Marauder | 9 years ago
0 likes

I will defo keep that in mind jpj
Thanks

Marauder | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks DaSy I will see if I can try that out.

DaSy | 9 years ago
0 likes

It seems a shame to write off the fork for the sake of a rusted in brake mounting nut. I have had to remove a few of these in the past, and find the best way is to remove the brake cable and then take the fork off the bike and unwind the caliper. Flood the nut from front and back with some penetrating oil and leave overnight. Then support the back of the fork and from the front, wind in a long bolt of the correct thread and then give it a good beating with a hammer.
I've never had one that I couldn't get out, just make sure you really grease up the new nut, and really clean out the fork.

jpj84 replied to DaSy | 9 years ago
0 likes

If that fails, I've got an unused set of eBay full carbon forks which should fit OK. So unused I've never unwrapped them...

Marauder | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks but I need a new set as the brake mounting seems to have become rusted inside the forks and cannot be removed  13

Nick0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

In case you aren't sure whether the forks are a write off, I forgot to mention these guys. I don't know much about them but apparently they can work miracles?!

http://www.carbonbikerepair.co.uk/

Nick0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

In that case you'll need to measure yours!

The key measurements are as your ad states (steerer/taper/dropouts), plus the all important fork to crown measurement (the drop out centre to headset insert).

HTH

Latest Comments