Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Do i need a new chainset?

Do I need to replace my chainset? the chain doesn't slip on it but it does on the cassette and I wondered if it could be the chainset teeth being worn.
It is a 105 5600 53/29
It is a new chain
Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

roadgenius4 | 9 years ago
0 likes

it is a new chain I and I do try to keep it clean and freshly lubed  1
I will try a new cassette as that is where the chain jumps

I will be upgrading to 11 speed soon so it doesn't really matter in the mean time
I am going to keep my 105 chainset though so if it isn't worn then I will just leave it
I read that using 10 speed chainrings work fine with 11 speed chain so that should be ok

southseabythesea | 9 years ago
0 likes

Do you clean/degrease and reapply a lube to your drive chain regularly? That's not a euphemism  3

LondonDynaslow | 9 years ago
0 likes

No. What you can see if just the anodising wearing off, and the shorter tooth is like that to help with shifting - it's not worn down. The chain should do at least 2000km and the cassette 2 or 3 times that, but those mileages will be much less if you ride in the wet, salty winter roads, etc. Maybe try a new cassette and chain at the same time (which solved my jumping chain recently).

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Nah you probably don't need to replace the chainset....my chainrings are worse I'd say and are still working fine.
Keeping that chain a bit cleaner wouldn't do any harm tho  35

OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes

I assume you mean 53/39?  3
Unlikely I would have thought, if it's a new chain ans it still slips the first thing to consider is the cassette, unless that is new too.

Latest Comments