Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New bike advice please.

Hi All,

Just after a bit of buying advice. I currently ride a Specialized Secteur Triple and after many miles and numerous items that are going to need replacing in the near future, I thought about treating myself to a new bike.

I've narrowed it down to two I think.

Specialized Tarmac Sport or Giant TCR Advanced 1

Both are the same price, but the Giant has full Ultegra as opposed to the Spec 105.

What are peoples opinions on the frames in particular. My general riding is around 50 miles - 3 hours a time, so comfort is reasonably important, but having ridden racier geometry bikes recently I'm after something a bit sportier.

Cheers for your help.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

hampstead_bandit | 9 years ago
0 likes

Both bikes are good choices, it really comes down to your fit and how you like the ride quality of each?

From my own experience (I've owned several Tarmacs and borrowed a 2015 TCR for 4 weeks)

Tarmac will be a little more comfortable - its uses a less expensive grade (lower modulus) of carbon which makes the frame feel softer under power or when hitting road bumps, combined with the long 27.2mm seatpost

TCR will feel crisper under power (similar to S-works Tarmac) but its less comfortable as it uses a higher grade (higher modulus) carbon fibre, and has the aero section seat post which transfers more road shock to the rider.

The geometry is a little different on each bike, try each one at your LBS and see which floats your boat! I really liked the way my Tarmac carved corners, but the TCR had the "go" off the line.

edvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can get a really good price on Spec/Giant at my LBS which would bring them in at less than the Cube.

Cheers,

Ed  3

JoshCroxton1 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Assuming you're looking at the £1500 mark based on the bikes you've mentioned, so I would just like to throw this spanner in the works that's currently on offer at my local bike shop - The Bike Shed. I've had mine for about 5 weeks now and I'm a very happy customer.

www.bikesheduk.com/cube-agree-gtc-di2-slt-compact-2013

It's as much bike as you're likely to find for under £1500.00 with Ultegra DI2.

Latest Comments