Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Changing road bike wheels?

Hello i got my first road bike just under a year ago this is the one i have:http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Peloton-Triple-2014-Road-Bike_66781.htm i am now look to buy new wheels but i dont nl what speed the rear wheel should be for my bike any help with this please?

I understand it may be a stuid question but got to learn at some point. Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

The wheels you buy may as well be 11 speed compatible, this will allow you to upgrade the groupset in a year or twos time if you want and has no disadvantage whilst still using your current cassette.
You will need a washer to fit/move over your current 8-9-10 speed cassette but this is a very easy job to do with the right tools.....or lbs.

Leeroy_Silk | 9 years ago
0 likes

All you need do is count the number of cogs on your current wheel, that'll tell you what speed it is.

Yorkshie Whippet | 9 years ago
0 likes

Two things,
Wheels these days are either 11 spd ready or not. Many 11 spd wheel will come with a spacer so that you can fit 8/9 or 10 spd cassette.

If you have a triple, am fairly sure you'll have a 9 spd cassette that could be taken off your existing wheel, with the correct tools, and fitted onto new wheel. Make sure you are getting a Shimano free hub. Alternative is to get a new 9 spd cassette fitted by a bike shop, however you may need a new chain for it to mesh smoothly.

Hope this helps.

Latest Comments