Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Trek domane 4.5 or Emonda sl5

Currently have felt f6 but find it to race orientated was in my lbs today looking at trek models tried both the domane 4.5 and Emonda sl5 loved both but not sure which one to go for ,mostly goin to be used for weekend spins charity runs need to be able to do 50 100km spins on differing road surfaces just leisure cycling deffo not for racing ,but unsure which would be the best the domane seems a bit more relaxed but the Emonda seems to be the better technology poss better for upgrading long term ,initially thought the domane as its being sold as endurance but lbs said the Emonda is equally as comfy and better climber ,so somewhat confused which would be best ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

dantowey | 8 years ago
1 like

You've obviously chosen your bike, but perhaps people considering the sl 5 (or 6) are searching the web for reviews/comments like I did so thought I'd add something quickly.

I was deciding between the sl 5 or a Dolan. Went for the sl 5 as it was from my LBS and I'd read/heard very good things. Was skeptical about the fluro green but only because the trim in the shop was white and, to be honest, it looked hideous.
There's a picture on google of it kitted out with black bar tape, pedals and saddle and it makes a huge difference. With the black trim it's a very slick looking bike - yes it's a bold colour but importantly it's a block bold colour. I see lots of bikes, mainly Cube ones, that are so busy with colours and so much going on that it hurts the eyes. This is a constant and with black trim it goes with the Trek logo and looks very smart.

So now performance - spot on! 105 groupset is as reliable as ever but what I wanted in this bike was a frame I could keep for a while. I didn't want an average frame with dura ace and a fizik saddle, what's the point? If the frame ain't worth the spec, don't buy the bike, that's what I'd say. You'll just find yourself upgrading next year and it's easier to upgrade specs than it is the frame!
My LBS did a great deal on a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Elites for me at just £80 once they took away the cost of the bontragers on there and a 10% credit I got with them for the price of the bike. I can't say what the Bontragers would've been like but the Mavics are superb and the guys in the shop were strongly advising me to upgrade - I'm glad I did. The only other change I've made is the tyres for GP400s II as I had a couple of punctures with the yskions and the rear one shredded the second time around. Perhaps I was just unlucky, they were very good when I had them on but GP's are as good and also seemingly more puncture proof.

So that's that. A sensible geometry frame that's stiff as anything. Don't look for one that's gonna save you 100g but feel like it's running away from you or puts you out for a few weeks with a sore back due to a silly top tube geometry trying to be a 'race' bike. It's not the lightest frame but it's no bloater and will reward you for the long rides while letting you bomb on the flats and float up the climbs.

Then once you feel you're ready you can upgrade to ultegra or swap out the bars/saddle which are Bontrager race - good kit but there's better out there. The wheel change took off about 350g and with the above I'd lose another 500g so there's definitely scope to upgrade with this bike and you know the frame will make it worthwhile as it really is incredible value.

It just makes you want to get out there and ride every time you get the chance, and that's what a bike should do!

PurpleDog | 9 years ago
0 likes

So, what did you go for?
I was in the market for a Domane but when I test-rode the Domane 4.5 against the Emonda SL6 I found I didn't like the feel of the Domane (maybe I'm too heavy for the elastomer? It bounced when I was pedalling hard) but the Emonda was as comfortable but much more fun!
The Domane felt more, er, dead whereas the Emonda was sprightly... I guess partly because the 4.5 is a lower grade of carbon from the Emonda SL frame I believe (?), which may have had something to do with it?

davidgray968 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had a Boardman Air 9.0 and after an accident found that it was too agressive for my neck. After testing a Domane and Madone at the Bike Show a few years back I opted for the Domane and managed to get a 2013 5.2 in an end of year sale. Coupled with a good bike fit prior to going to the Alps I have never looked back and I can do 100/150kms plus rides in comfort now. The only way you will know is to ask for a test ride on both, hopefully your LBL has the same size in both at the same time, to me it was the only way to compare riding positions.

mcm4to | 9 years ago
0 likes

I got a Domane 4.5 in January and I absoutely love it. Coupled with a proper bike fit it is very comfortable and perfect for longer rides. Seems like you do the same sort of cycling that I do currently and the Domane on recent 40 and 50 mile weekend rides was great. I do wake up at the weekend raring to go out on it. Looking forward to testing it out in a couple of sportives later in the year.

Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Buy the one that gives you the biggest buzz, the one that makes you set the alarm on a Sunday at 6am to go out for a ride, the one that would make you look out the window at the gale and/or drizzle and go out anyway... Fit and vfm are important too!

Kadinkski | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have you considered the disc version of the domane 4.5? Comes with Thru axels and takes size 28 tyres, for the type of riding you're doing i think the disc brakes would be a revelation.

Personally i can't stand the fluro green of the émonda, but each to their own. It would be lighter and zippier than the domane (7.9kg vs about 8.5kg) but only comes with 105, as opposed to ultegra on the domane.

If it was me shopping for an enduro/sportive/all-weather bike, i would pay the extra £300 for the disc version of the domane, but like the others say, they're both fantastic bikes and its a tough choice that only you can make. Good luck!

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

You need to go for the bike that fits you better, this will have the biggest impact on comfort and side quality.
From what I know the domane has a taller headtube and the emonda is more race orientated so may not be great for occasional longer rides.
Both bikes get good reviewed so I guess you would probably be happy with either

Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes

You've probably got to that point where only you can make the decision. There's no right or wrong answer. I bet most people will only have one or other of those and they love the bike they have. Though from all the reviews I've seen of the Emonda they have received high praise from those that ride lots of bikes for a living.....though equally the Domane had good reviews when it came out.

Latest Comments