Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Canyon Endurance or Ultimate CF SL

Hi,

A newbie to this forum so forgive me if I am asking an already exhausted question. I am really stuck between the Canyon Endurance CF 9.0 and the Ultimate CF SL 9.0. Is the Ultimate worth the extra £500? Am I going to really notice the difference in frame geometry? Both with Ultegra so is the frame and wheelset that much better?

Thanks in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

CasperCCC | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got the cheapest (it's all relative...!) SLX. It is noticeably longer and lower than my other bike, but not so much that it's uncomfortable. I've done 80 miles on it, and am planning on using it for the Dunwich Dynamo.

I love riding it. Really nippy. I don't really notice the weight, but it just feels so quick to accelerate. Jumps forward.

Not sure if that helps much, seeing as I've never ridden the Endurace so can't compare the two.

What I would say is don't get too excited about delivery dates. Customer service was pretty frustrating. Delays with no explanations. I'd still buy it again, so don't let it put you off, but adjust your expectations.

Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's interesting how they sell 'endurance' bikes, all talk of 'relaxed' geometry and do you race? Fundamentally a racer bike will be set-up for speed and possibly improved handling, and if you struggle with your flexibility you'll need something on longer rides which doesn't stress this so much.

But two GCN articles got me thinking about how bikes are marketed and what a punter wants from their bike. The first was 'how to choose your bike' like a pro. It reviewed the Giant and Trek ranges. They talked about how an Aero bike was more important for a sprinter than a GC rider, and how breakaway riders prefer something racy, but GC contenders were looking for comfort in a climb.

The second of the two videos was 'which bike is makes the best commuter'. They compared a Brompton, CX, thoroughbred racer and 'endurance' bike. The conclusion was not clear, but Simon mentioned that he had bought a commuter bike once, and hated riding it. The point being get a bike that does what you wanted it to do. If you want something fast and good handling, you like throwing it into turns and can't wait to put the power down then go for a racier set-up. If you are thinking of doing lots of climbing, long rides or have flexibility issues then a relaxed endurance bike is where it is.

What tends to happen when you get to the bike shop is plenty of preconceived ideas that you as a person 'race' or else you should buy an 'endurance' bike and thereafter you're pigeon holed into one or other. I would just go test a few bikes to see the differences between endurance and race bikes and think about what you like/need.

Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes

At the show on Thursday evening the Canyon guy told me they weren't doing test rides this year - was disappointed but doubt you can tell much about a bike on that kind of ride. Think I read somewhere the Endurace isn't hugely different to the Ultimate in geometry terms; certainly not as different as other manufacturers make them.

Lambybear | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all your comments. I already have an upright, commuter bike (Whyte RD7) so think I'm leaning towards the Ultimate.

Cheers

scrimshank replied to Lambybear | 9 years ago
0 likes

Let me know how you get on, I'm currently looking at upgrading from my Alu Cannondale Synapse and can't decide which to get. I have read that it's possible to vary the riding position of the Ultimate CF quite considerably, so much so that it offers a fairly comfortable ride despite its race geometry.

On a separate not, having missed the ideal chance to try these bikes out in the flesh at the London bike show, does anyone know if there are any opportunities to test ride Canyon Bikes in the Uk?

Ta

w61 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've had the CF SL 9.0 for over a year now and it's been great. I'm not a racer and it has been very comfortable for long rides on some pretty rough roads.

Don't write off the CF SL as being too racy, I'm 42 and have only been back riding a couple of years and I found it way more comfortable than the Specialized Secteur that I started off on (which is meant to be an endurance bike). That said, the Endurace does look like a nice bike, so I don't think you can go too far wrong with either.

David Arthur @d... | 9 years ago
0 likes

What sort of riding are you going to do? If you're road racing, get the Ultimate. If you're not racing, and instead doing sportives, distance rides, cycling to work, Sunday club runs and want a bit of comfort, get the Endurace

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

The difference in frame geometry will be quite noticeable, a 5mm change in headset stack can make a massive difference (IMO)
Just try and workout which bike would fit you best and go for that one...fit is far more important than spec. I personally cannot ride bikes with taller headtubes and need a slammed position to stop backache (weird I know) so don't just think; I'm not racing so go for the sportive bike.
Also changing wheels is comparatively cheaper than a whole new frame.

1860 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I only have the Endurace CF 9.0 Pro (Campagnolo Chorus Groupset) and am very happy with it. The key question is are you looking for a more relaxed (but not overdone) geometry or a race focused geometry? Since I am not racing and I liked the wheelset and setup of the Endurace, it was an easy decision for me which I did not regret. I only wish that Canyon would offer more colorful color options, and the only thing that had me looking at the Ultimate is that it has a better looking paint option.

All the best!

Latest Comments