Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cheshire Cobbled Classic - Anyone Done It?

Ive just come across a ride that I fancy doing called the Cheshire Cobbled Classic. Ive never done any riding over cobbles so I really fancy giving this a go. As it's only £25 it's seems much better value than some of the other Sportives that are about.

Before booking I was wondering if anyone has done this previously and can offer any reviews/feedback?

If you haven't seen this but fancy having a look then you can do so here: http://cycleclassics.co.uk/cheshire-cobbled-classic-sportive/

Thanks

Craig

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

stever | 8 years ago
0 likes

Beeston Brow was, well, a beast really. Wasn't expecting another section that late. Followed my mate burning up for the photographer who promptly collapsed around the corner - just where it gets steep - I felt obliged to crack on to the top. Last stretch through the Park was great, found a great cadence to just push on.

Twiggy | 8 years ago
0 likes

Did it on my trusty cube cross bike pro, managed all climbs and won some beer for getting up the corkscrew, Great event very well organized will be back next year.

fenix | 8 years ago
0 likes

I did it on my winter/cross bike. With bombproof 32mm Marathon tyres on. So no puncture problems. Was a good event I thought - I think I spent 70% of the ride on the small ring. Sure theres just 12 sections of cobbles - but theres a lot of hills.
And some hills are cobbled too. Didnt attempt Corkscrew as it was too congested at the start and not very clear on the route. Walked it up just to see though.

Last hill - Beeston Brow foiled me too - got about half way before an attack of cramp convinced me to walk the rest.

That beer was nice at the finish.

stever | 8 years ago
0 likes

Anyone else there yesterday? Fairly tough day in the saddle I thought. Regular carbon road bike with usual 23s on. Lots of people got up the corkscrew this year. I would have of course but got stuck in traffic when the guy in front fell off. Cough, that's it yes. Cobble now in back garden, Leffe drunk. Waffles are my new gel for sure, went down nicely!

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Me and a mate did ToBC last year, and he also did CCC.
Well organised rides, and the parcours having pave etc. means it puts off many of the idiots you get in most sportives these days.
Plus the feed stops are immense!

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Can not do June as prepping for the Alps, but looked at the July one but booked in for one run by MAMIL in Bridgnorth/Shropshire hills.

That stafford ride one would be fun as I often ride in that area and would book end the Stafford CC reliability ride which is on next weekend and I am going to.

S13SFC replied to ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes
ianrobo wrote:

Can not do June as prepping for the Alps, but looked at the July one but booked in for one run by MAMIL in Bridgnorth/Shropshire hills.

That stafford ride one would be fun as I often ride in that area and would book end the Stafford CC reliability ride which is on next weekend and I am going to.

I did the MAMIL ride last year, t'was good. I forgot it clashed with Stafford this year, which as my local ride, I'm duty bound to ride.

Mammoth at Milford (Specialized in Stafford) run a mid-summer event and that is RAPID and Katherine House Hospice run a good event in May that all the local clubs etc take part in.

I'll be doing the reliability ride next week as well (I think). Ride with a neighbouring club but we have a family membership with Stafford RC as my Mrs rides with them in the summer and my youngest do their kids racing stuff.

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I saw this a few weeks ago and could not do this one but doing the Tour of the Black Country instead which is based on Paris-Roubaix with a velodrome finish. Really looking forward to this one as not many good quality sportives locally.

S13SFC replied to ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes
ianrobo wrote:

I saw this a few weeks ago and could not do this one but doing the Tour of the Black Country instead which is based on Paris-Roubaix with a velodrome finish. Really looking forward to this one as not many good quality sportives locally.

Did the ToBC last year & it was very good.

If you're looking for rides check out the Brewood ride in June & the Stafford one in July which is booked ended by a pro-crit and Kermese.

Beefy | 9 years ago
0 likes

I rode on ribble carbon with Vittoria pave no problems, plan to use cross bike this year and a camel back, as I was a bit worried about damage to frame from lots of pave, and won't need to worry about losing bottles.

Beefy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Did this last year, got my cobble  4 very good sportive only criticism was the feed station wasn't great (take a few extra gels) but didn't spoil the day. The ride was great as was signage and marshaling. I'm going to ride this year.

mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I rode it on my carbon road bike, kept the existing 23mm tyres on, well pumped up as usual (110 psi) and had no issues. Compact was fine. In the dry I don't see what all the fuss about cobbles is really. They're fun, don't grip the bars for grim death, just keep pedalling.

Loads of other peoples water bottles were going flying on the cobbled sections, and just near the end, as I thought I'd got away with losing one of mine, I looked down to see one had made a bid for freedom and I hadn't noticed. So if you can bend your cages so they fit tightly round your bottles, all the better.

The corkscrew wasn't all that. It was more the fact the cobbles up it were muddy and I lost grip due to this rather than "45%" being too steep to ride. Tarmac that steep would have been fine. Apparently, only a guy on a mountain bike made it up.

crazy-legs | 9 years ago
0 likes

I live fairly local to the route, done variations on a theme of it loads of times. In fact I've still got a KOM on one of the cobbled bits!

I got in with the Sportive last year quite by accident, didn't even know it was on until I overtook a group of riders going up Beeston Brow, got talking to them and found out about it. I turned off onto a different route after a while because the standard of riding from some of the participants was frankly awful, I witnessed one very near miss with a car solely caused by rider stupidity.

Obviously can't comment on the feed stations or sportive logistics but the route itself is pretty good, got some nice little testing climbs in it. In dry weather you can do it all on a standard road bike; doing it in winter I'd use a CX.

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

A lot of this is the edge of High Peak. I know the Brickworks but it seems a shame to come down Blaze hill not go up (seems like a waste of Kinetic Energy going into heating my rims, increasing entropy and bringing on the end of the Universe and that, thanks Prof Cox.) Go the other way from Wilmslow towards Jodrell Bank and Northwich and knutsford and it is just rolling.

How much of this is actually cobbled?

mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes
mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yep, I did it this year with a mate.

Good fun, the cobbles add an element of interest - fortunately it was dry this year, I dread to think if it had been wet.

It was fairly low key, only about 200 riders, so not one of these massive sportive events. Food stops had belgian waffles, dark chocolate and other belgian themed treats.

And it was also surprisingly hilly. I was thinking Cheshire plains but I couldn't have been more wrong.

Well worth doing!

craig749 replied to mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the feedback mtbtomo. By the sounds of it, its worth doing just for the feed stations  3

Just out of interest what bike did you do it on? did you make any changes to the bike because of the cobbles? wider tyres, tyre pressure etc etc?

Thanks  1

Mrmiik replied to craig749 | 9 years ago
0 likes
craig749 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback mtbtomo. By the sounds of it, its worth doing just for the feed stations  3

Just out of interest what bike did you do it on? did you make any changes to the bike because of the cobbles? wider tyres, tyre pressure etc etc?

Thanks  1

I live less around 30mins away from the Flemish Ardennes but have to say I'm interested in doing this ride back home in the UK. That corkscrew hill or whatever its called just looks silly - unrideable - don't think there is anything close to that here in Flanders.

My personal experience is that I've ridden most of the cobbled climbs with 23s perfectly fine - pressure around 80-90. Would defo consider switching to 25s though, and I'm sure the Pavé tires would help. No doubt tubs or tubeless would also be beneficial here!

Also, not sure if a compact is mandatory; as you want to be in a higher gear than usual for the cobbles, with a smooth pedal stroke, letting the bike guide it's way over the cobbles.

Latest Comments