Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

105 or Rival 22

Aaargh, just ready to splash some plastic on an 11spd 105 groupset to upgrade my bike from the supplied Sora 9spd group (After reading a lot of favourable reviews.) and stumbled across a review of SRAMs Rival 22 11spd groupset that sort of rubbished the 105 (OK, I know there is such things as paid for reviews.) The biggest draw is that SRAM supply the Crankset as either GXP or BB30/PF30 standard where as I would need to use an adapter to fit the Shimano cranks into my PF30 frame. Though the Rival is a bit more expensive at the moment. Anyone any experience with both sets?
(A third option is buy the 105 group sell the cranks and BB and buy a Rival Chainset.)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes

Rival is pretty awesome - mechanically speaking (so they say) it's the same as Red... nice.

Also I think that Rival/Force/Red brakes are much better than 105 - but that just could be personal.

Check this: http://pelotonmagazine.com/tested/sram-rival-22-review-images-hydraulic-...

kwi replied to Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes
Mrmiik wrote:

Check this: http://pelotonmagazine.com/tested/sram-rival-22-review-images-hydraulic-...

That's the review that made me sit and think, ended up getting a full Rival 22 group pulled off a new bike for £250, might have to buy a new chain if the original bikes chainstay was shorter and have new cables and bar tape already in the shed. Just need to get a braze on adapter and I'm sorted.

Thanks for the input to all.

Mrmiik replied to kwi | 9 years ago
0 likes
kwi wrote:
Mrmiik wrote:

That's the review that made me sit and think, ended up getting a full Rival 22 group pulled off a new bike for £250, might have to buy a new chain if the original bikes chainstay was shorter and have new cables and bar tape already in the shed. Just need to get a braze on adapter and I'm sorted.

Thanks for the input to all.

That sounds like a bargain - you deserve to stick a Red chainset on there now!  16

onecogmind | 9 years ago
0 likes

I prefer SRAM Rival. But this is largely down to the shifter action. Tried Ultegra on a friends road bike and SRAM Force. I preferred the double tap system so I went with SRAM.

If Shimano had double tap I would probably go Shimano.

backflipbedlem | 9 years ago
0 likes

got a Rival 10 speed, really pleased with it, and got an 11-32, so a bit of extra help on those tricky climbs

kwi | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wheels already 11spd compatible, 1st thing I changed on the bike, just have to remember to take the spacer off.
Found a Rival set on eBay, pulled off a new bike, for less than the cheapest 105 price, correct BB standard too so will probably go that way.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

They are both very good vfm group sets and you'd probably be happy with both...
Probably the best way to choose between these would be to have a quick test ride of both group sets of possible and deciding which hood shape fits your hands the best.
SRAM is slightly lighter than 105 but the 105 brakes and front shifting are better.
And there's no compatibility issues with using a rival crank with a 105 groupset, and you'd still be quids in over a full rival groupset.

Edit, also obviously make sure you wheels are 11 speed compatible...

Latest Comments