Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How hard should it be to pump tyres?

I've got a fairly basic Bell track pump and getting tyres above ~80 psi requires major effort. i.e, putting all my weight onto the pump handles to get it up to ~100. I usually end up with very red palms with the pattern from the handle imprinted onto them for a day or two.

Would buying a better quality pump make this easier, or is getting decent tyre pressures always going to be hard work?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

PhilRuss | 9 years ago
0 likes

[[[[ "Revolution", about £17.50. Got mine from Edinburgh Cycles (via review on Road CC), very solid, and 3 times quicker than the old Zefal I'd been struggling with. Easy-peasy.
P.R.

dotdash | 9 years ago
0 likes

My joe blow 2 has worked fine for years but last year it started to struggle to engage the valve and now it's almost impossible to engage, has anyone else had this?

Jeroen0110 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I bought one on eBay that goes up to 160psi for 12.99 delivered. Up to 125 psi in about five pumps, how can spending any more money possibly improve this?!?!?!?!

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the Bontrager. Paid £18 for mine, really nice design and up to pressure in a dozen or so pumps.

pants | 9 years ago
0 likes

buy a new pump, i have a bontrager pump that i've had for years and it doesn't take very much effort at go pumping it to my usual 100 psi.

pruaga | 9 years ago
0 likes

I picked up a Joe Blow last night, and while it needed a good firm press it didn't feel like it was about to snap and I didn't have to jump onto it.

Wish I'd bought it ages ago. Thanks all for advice.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

The cheapo aldi and lidl ones are similar, OK for kids bikes but just can't get to road pressure without feeling like you will break it.

A handheld zefal hpx can do 110psi easy,mso it can't be hard!

Mph proper track pumps are all metal, but unbranded

Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes

Surprised you have to ask......!

surly_by_name replied to Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes
Colin Peyresourde wrote:

Surprised you have to ask......!

It has to be very hard.

kwi | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the Joe Blow, only issue I had was that it wouldn't seat one of my MTB tyres when I went tubeless, but then little would bar a compressor or CO2 cartridge.

fukawitribe | 9 years ago
0 likes

Evans are doing the Birzman Zacoo Maha IV for 24 quid (2/3 normal price) at the moment, very highly rated pumps especially the heads..

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/birzman/zacoo-maha-iv-track-pump-ec0...

I don't actually need a new track pump and yet i'm still debating getting one for the Snap-It alone  1

Kapelmuur replied to fukawitribe | 9 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:

Evans are doing the Birzman Zacoo Maha IV for 24 quid (2/3 normal price) at the moment, very highly rated pumps especially the heads..

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/birzman/zacoo-maha-iv-track-pump-ec0...

I don't actually need a new track pump and yet i'm still debating getting one for the Snap-It alone  1

Thanks for the heads-up, my Aldi pump has served faithfully for 3 years, but getting over 80 psi was a struggle. Easy with the Birzman.

Only downside is I'll have to take up weights to compensate for missing the upper body workout.

pruaga | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'll pick one up on the way home. And then the other one might have a mechanical failure...
My sore hands thank you both, just wanted reassurance that it wasn't just me needing to man up!

timbola | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a Topeak Joe Blow Sport II pump - excellent, I must say. Absolutely no complaints and £28 seems a very good price indeed. There, that's another good review  41

pruaga | 9 years ago
0 likes

Any recommendations for a good pump? I've seen a Topeak Joe Blow Sport II for £28, which seems to have good reviews.

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yep. Buy a better pump!

Latest Comments