Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Disc Wheelset

Good Afternoon All

Please be gentle with me as I am pretty new to all things road. I am recovering from being hit off my ten day old Lynskey Sportive disc at the end of October and have had my second operation. Hopefully on the mend now  1 I was kindly left by the road by whoever hit me. Lovely human being!

I need a new set of wheels and have decided on either the Mavic Ksyrium Disc Wheelset or handbuilt by a very close Friend.

My question is what rim would you choose if you are building them yourself? I was going to use Mavic Open Pro with Sapim spokes but the more research I do the more I dribble and get confused  7

I appreciate I do not need a braking surface but have no objection to having one. I also like the Pacenti SL 23, Velocity Aileron/Aerohead amongst others.

Hub wise I am going to use Chris King R45's and hope this Wheelset will last for years to come!

Ant recommendations or direction is most welcome. Humour also  3

Many thanks,

Gareth

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

AndreasHolden | 9 years ago
0 likes

My LBS built up a disc specific wheelset for me last year. Went for Hope hubs, Sapim spokes and Ryde (formerly Rigida) 'disc specific road rims. Strong and very light, not as stiff as I'd like but I am, at 85 kilos, probably a bit heavy for such a light wheelset. Weren't stupid money either.

Jack Osbourne snr | 9 years ago
0 likes

My tuppence worth...

DEFINITELY go handbuilt here.

Open PRO was the automatic choice a few years ago, and I would say still a strong contender for use with rim brakes. However, there is now a very good selection of rims that are better... Particularly with disc use in mind.

H plus son archetypes are very good as are Pacenti SL23 and the aero section velocity rims. Stans also have a good reputation, but I have no experience of them.

I really like the way the archetypes look, but from a long term performance point of view... Pacenti SL23 win it for me.

0 likes

My tuppence worth...

Open PRO was the automatic choice a few years ago, and I would say still a strong contender for use with rim brakes. However, there is now a very good selection of rims that are better... Particularly with disc use in mind.

H plus son archetypes are very good as are Pacenti SL23 and the aero section velocity rims. Stans also have a good reputation, but I have no experience of them.

I really like the way the archetypes look, but from a long term performance point of view... Pacenti SL23 win it for me.

0 likes

My tuppence worth...

Metjas | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have H Plus Son Archetype wheels with White Industries T11 hubs and I couldn't wish for a better, stronger wheel set. I decided to spend a bit more on the hubs as I intend to have wheels rebuilt around these in the future.

White Industries also do centerlock disc (CLD) versions of their road hubs, worth a look imo, and top of my list for my first disc wheel set.

Also note that Pacenti have released a disk specific brother of the SL23 rim, the new and lighter SL25.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

As a bit of a curveball you could look at farsports rims (from China).
They are carbon so may not be great for hauling loads or horrible roads but concerns about poor braking or melting the rims are obviously negated.
Samshaw has written 2? Blogs on this on road.cc and there are many pages of reviews on other websites, they pretty much have consistently good reviews for the newest rim models.
Mate with a good pair of hubs and that is a nice fairly strong and light disc wheel set for not masses of cash, but obv only if you want the carbon rims

EDIT:some of the newer rims are also tubeless ready and can be built with no spoke holes so no rim tape needed

upriver | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Hope Pro2 Evo Hubs. I've had a set with Stans Crest rims on my bike for almost 3 years, with no problems at all. It's been used for touring and winter steed duties, and they still spin beautifully after 4000 kms. Great noise too! it really gets the attention of people when you free wheel.

The Crests are 29er rims, and great for 28mm+ tyres, but probably not for anything smaller. There wasn't much choice 3 years ago, and if doing it again I'd probably choose Stans Iron Cross Rim or similar.

Both my other bikes (Road and MTB) have Hope Hubs, and I doubt I'd look elsewhere after past experience with less durable and needy offerings.

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

There are several wheel builders on the Web. Search 'bespoke disc wheelset'

joemmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well FWIW I have HPlus Son Archetypes built onto Hope Pro2 Evo hubs with Sapim D-Light spokes 28/32 from Just Riding Along. It's a lovely wheelset and I'd happily recommend it. Don't bother with yer fancy Chris King hubs, keep it British and save a few quid.

rasalati | 9 years ago
0 likes
Scoob_84 wrote:

Ant recommendations or direction is most welcome. Humour also  3

Personally, I'd recommend Fire Ants. I mean, they build rafts, so imagine what they could do for your bike!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ZysgGAABw

(In all seriousness, I'd also be interested in people's recommendations, as I have a Cannondale Disc with stock wheels, and I've just about got to the point where I'm ready to splash a bit of cash again!)

Latest Comments