Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano 105 10 vs 11 Speed

I am looking to upgrade from 9 speed to 10 or 11 speed shimano.
I already have a 105 Chainset and Ultegra FD but I would like to change my shifters, rear derailleur, cassette and chain.

The new 105 5800 11 speed stuff seems to be very good although to upgrade I would have to change my rear wheel (which I don't really mind doing)
Are the older 105 10 speed components OK or are the newer ones better (excluding the fact there is another gear).
I've heard that the newer shifters especially are smaller, have screw reach adjustment and better/different brake pull.
Also heard that the cassette and rear derailleur work a lot better.

If someone could let me know what they think I would appreciate it

I haven't been riding road bikes long and my Specialized Allez is my first road bike, i would just like nicer components than the current Sora/Tiagra 9sp.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

farrell | 9 years ago
1 like

You need to go up to 11.

Well, it's one faster, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be riding at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your bike. Where can you go from there? Where?

Nowhere.

What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do? We put it up to eleven.

One faster.

roadgenius4 replied to farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes

no you don't because its all about ratios not amount of gears. a 12-25 11 speed will not allow you to go as fast as a 11-28 10 speed.
It down to number of teeth on the lower and higher sprockets that determine how fast you can go etc

edster99 replied to roadgenius4 | 9 years ago
0 likes
roadgenius4 wrote:

no you don't because its all about ratios not amount of gears. a 12-25 11 speed will not allow you to go as fast as a 11-28 10 speed.
It down to number of teeth on the lower and higher sprockets that determine how fast you can go etc

True - if you can push the bigger gear up to the same cadence. For the vast majority of non-pros it is pretty academic, if you can spin out on the flat (say 120 rpm) on a 50-12 then fair play to you (thats about 40mph). If its so steep you are spinning out, you probably aren't adding much to your speed and and you are probably more concerned about the corners. More than anything I think the benefit is that every shift is a little bit smaller and so likely smoother. But I am all on 10 speed and 9 on my winter bike, so what do I know?

roadgenius4 replied to edster99 | 9 years ago
0 likes

it is very useful having smaller gaps between shifts. e.g. a 10 speed 11-28 wouldn't be as gradual as an 11 speed 11-28 cassette. However it depends if you use the 11 cog or even the 28 cog. If you stay in the middle, then a 12-25 is your best bet in 10 speed as it will still give you great progression.
I think I'm going to upgrade to 10 rather than 11 as i don't think it is worth the hassle of changing my wheelset.

mike the bike replied to farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes
farrell wrote:

You need to go up to 11.

Well, it's one faster, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be riding at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your bike. Where can you go from there? Where?

Nowhere.

What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do? We put it up to eleven.

One faster.

Something tells me not everyone gets this Farrell, but as my father would have said, you can't educate pork.

roadgenius4 replied to mike the bike | 9 years ago
0 likes

correct

Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

Look no further than 11speed 105. Significant step change in performance across the range.

I'd suggest upgrading brake pads however as this is an area where I found the 11speed 105 brakes lacking. A pad choice (about a £10 spend) provided more bite, so challenge overcome.

As mentioned above, wheels are the only bug bear, however, you are going to find it hard to obtain 10speed freehub wheels fairly soon, so you're simply storing up trouble for later.

That said, my bike industry mate is adamant that a 10speed cassette will work fine with an 11speed set up. Maybe worth a try.

mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

10speed 105 feels more solid and precise than 9 speed Tiagra and Sora I've used. However, some say the shifters are a bit draggy.

11speed 105 feels lighter than 10speed but still precise and solid. If you already have decent wheels, then I'd probably go 10speed. If you were going to upgrade the wheels, then I'd go 11 speed.

I'm not sure if a 10speed chainset would work with 11speed, but I've mixed 8 and 9 speed stuff on the mountain bike before now.

Latest Comments