Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheelset for Specialized Allez

Hi,
I am looking to upgrade some of the components on my Spesh Allez bike, shifters, rear dérailleur, cassette & chain to change it from Sora 9 speed to 105 10 or 11 Speed.

I am going to upgrade the standard Alex Rims R500 wheels as they are not particularly great and don't roll very well.
I also need to get an 11 speed wheelset if I am going to be using 11 speed Shimano

I'm not sure whether it is worth upgrading to 11 speed shimano or stick with 10 speed shimano 105.
Apart from the extra gear I have heard that the new set has better levers and nicer gear changes etc.
It also the same price as 10 speed 105.

I have been looking at the following budget wheels:
Shimano RS010 9/10/11 speed compatible £67.99 @ Wiggle.co.uk
Shimano RS11 11 speed compatible £89.99 @ Chain Reaction Cycles

I would like to know whether upgrading to these wheels would show a noticeable difference in how my bike rides and how the wheels roll compared to the Alex Rims.
I know at this price the wheels wont be amazing but I don't have lots to spend. It is better for me to stick with my current wheels and just go for 10 speed?

Advice would be appreciated

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

nopants | 9 years ago
0 likes

I was under the same impression - that's one of the reasons I went for them. As I say - the other 3 cups and cones are pristine.

I have always maintained my own wheels without problems, and worn out rims, but never hubs, and never in 6 months of summer use!

The RS81 rims have barely any wear, and it really stings to throw away such an expensive wheel, but I've asked around and it's not economic to repair (unless someone knows otherwise?)

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

I was under the impression that shimano hubs were virtually bombproof and long lasting....as long as you check the cups and cones are at the right preload.
I have never owned a pair, just what I've read on tinterwebs...

nopants | 9 years ago
0 likes

Personally I would avoid Shimano wheels. I have just had to bin a RS81 wheel as the cups in the hub were gone. They only had 6 months use over the summer.

With almost all other wheels you can replace the cartridge bearings. Shimano have cup and cone hubs, and the cups are not replaceable. Once they are damaged you have to chuck them away!

I have probably been unlucky - the other 3 cups are still pristine - but not worth the risk IMO when there are plenty of other good options out there.

JamieFWCC | 9 years ago
0 likes

Morning,

I spent a lot of time last year deciding what to do with my Allez and in the end I have ended up with two sets of wheels and a groupset upgrade. The effect it has had on the bike is noticeable and it has mostly spurred me on to ride more.

Firstly, I went for a full Shimano 105 5700 (10spd) upgrade with a slightly racier gearing (double rather than compact) as the hills on the South Coast are manageable. The jump from 8spd to 10spd was a definite improvement, I spent less time feeling like I was between gears.

Then for the remainder of the summer I used a set of Shimano RS81 wheelset. It was a bit of an extravagant purchase but after speaking to a lot of members of the club and spending a bit more on these than I had originally budgeted I couldn't be happier. These wheels coped with everything I have thrown at them, club rides, TTs, Triathlons, full day rides. Still running straight and true.

//i.imgur.com/aYHQ1pd.jpg)

As the summer turned to Autumn and Winter I began to use this bike as a commuter. it's a fairly muddy, rural route (on road) and after scouting it out I decided that I didn't want all the grit and muck wearing the RS81s prematurely. I then went for some Shimano R501s (yes I know they are stickered as 500s) which I picked up in a sale for £72 a set. I can't say that I noticed a massive difference in weight (the mudguards and light battery have added a fair chunk), however I am regretting going this cheap with wheels.

//i.imgur.com/X73Bb6V.jpg)
//i.imgur.com/RpmRPrx.jpg)
//i.imgur.com/J4RdmB0.jpg)
//i.imgur.com/HKCtPfi.jpg)

I am already on my second rear wheel after hitting a pretty horrific pothole. The rim split quite badly at the join. I never had this issue with the original Alex rims or my RS81s.

Tyre wise it is Micheline Pro4 endurance all year round for the moment. Before I started commuting on a regular basis I would have said that these were puncture resistance but the roads of Hampshire have certainly tested this. I will be considering other tyres for my next purchase. For me slightly higher tyre weight is less of a selling point than puncture resistance.

fustuarium | 9 years ago
0 likes

Are you saying you need a Sora cassette and chain? I've got a 27t and chain gathering dust in the garage....

AlexF389 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hello! I run a 2013 base Allez with an 8 speed 2300/2400 groupset. Got a set of Fulcrum Quattros with GP4S that I run year round. The 8 speed works seamlessly with the Fulcrum hub, and I love it!

I think that you'd be better off saving for a summer/nice bike a year or two in the future rather than upgrading the groupset completely.

Regarding shifting etc, I keep my gears nicely maintained and indexed, I do feel a sense of joy when my fellow riders (on 105, Ultegra etc) are clanking and crashing the chain compared to my seamless changes! If you keep any groupset well maintained, the shifting will be roughly the same. And of course, with 8 speed, parts are generally more durable and much cheaper to replace!

roadgenius4 replied to AlexF389 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I understand what you're saying about saving the money for a set of wheels rather than the groupset. The thing is, my cassette needs replacing anyway, so does the chain, and the Sora shifters have annoying thumb levers which drive me mad as I cant change gear when I'm in the drops. So it would make sense to upgrade to a better set as I'm going to change it anyway.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Winter tyres have, waaaaaay more p*uncture protection and also grippier rubber in wet&dry conditions (so more confidence on greasy winter roads) and slower, stronger casings....

Nah.
You want grippy rubber, buy top-of-the-range race tyres.
You want slow, hard, generally dispiriting tyres, you buy things with puncture protection. I like riding my bike and in the wet and cold and shite weather, I like riding it with nice tyres. I'll leave the 'winter' tyres to the hi-vis boys...

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd spend money on wheels and tyres before a groupset.

But if buying wheels I'd look at Fulcrum 5, Shimano (RS61 or Ultegra) and perhaps the Pro Lite Bracciano.
http://road.cc/conntent/review/115857-fulcrum-racing-5-wheels
http://road.cc/content/review/126799-shimano-wh-6800-ultegra-wheels

roadgenius4 wrote:

well i havent had any flats so far- what would you reccommend for a 25c winter/wet tyre?

Schwalbe Durano, Michelin Pro 4 Endurance or Conti GP4 Season. But if you're happy with your Maxxis tyres carry on using those.

0 likes

The difference between winter and summer tires is huge.
Summer has less puncture protection, softer, grippier in the dry (ime) rubber and faster casings., these generally are way nicer to ride.

Winter tyres have, waaaaaay more p*uncture protection and also grippier rubber in wet&dry conditions (so more confidence on greasy winter roads) and slower, stronger casings....

Wear out your stock tires in winter and get summer tyres....for summer. The difference can be incredible.

hampstead_bandit | 9 years ago
0 likes

as Crikey said, its all about the rubber compound (and casing) than 'sipes' (cut outs) which are generally put there for visual buying confidence than servicing any useful function.

I've found Conti 4-seasons in 25c are a very good all rounder, with better puncture resistance than GP4000.

shop around, they are cheap on-line.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

I ride completely slick 23c tyres all year round.
Grip comes from tyre compound, not marks on the surface, hence why the best 'winter' tyres are race tyres...

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

winter/wet tyre

...it's a bicycle, not a rally car.
Choose a tyre that works all year round, rain or shine. Continental GP4000s work well, as do any of the racier choices from Vittoria, Vredestein, Michelin, Schwalbe and so on.

Tyres are one of the few things that make an appreciable difference to the way a bike rides; spend a bit.

roadgenius4 replied to crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

ok thanks
i just didn't want suggestions for completely slick 23c tyres
ive heard a lot of good things about the continental GP400s

hampstead_bandit | 9 years ago
0 likes

Get a decent set of wheels like fulcrum racing 5 £170 if you shop around, will let you run 8/9/10/11 speed using the supplied spacer.

The shimano wheels are a good 'like for like' replacement if a wheel gets stolen or damaged in crash, but won't make much difference from performance point of view.

Good set of tires also makes a big difference, the stock tire (espoir?) are heavy and slow rolling.

Worry about group set as it wears out.

roadgenius4 replied to hampstead_bandit | 9 years ago
0 likes

i currently have Maxxis Dettonator 25c tyres which seem pretty good

I have seen some of the Fulcrum wheels and have seen the Quattro wheels along with the Racing 5s and 3s.
I will have to see what I can spend

mike the bike replied to roadgenius4 | 9 years ago
0 likes
roadgenius4 wrote:

i currently have Maxxis Dettonator 25c tyres which seem pretty good ......

I too have a pair of these tyres, they came with a new bike about four years ago.
After half-a-dozen flats in a month I hung them on the garage wall, where they remain to this day. When the opportunity arises I shall give them to someone I don't like.

roadgenius4 replied to mike the bike | 9 years ago
0 likes

well i havent had any flats so far- what would you reccommend for a 25c winter/wet tyre?

0 likes

It would be better to spend more on your wheels than your groupset, the effect is more noticeable.
Most new wheelsets are 9/10/11 compatible so it would make sense to buy a nice-ish pair of wheels, then in a year or two, then buy an upgraded groupset.
I too am in the same boat, i have a specialized allez with sora and tiagra. it has a set of planet x al30's on it and hopefully will soon have the new 105 11 speed groupset...however i am only wanting the new groupset as i crashed a few weeks ago, smashing a shifter. (it makes more sense to spend £300 on a new group than ~£120 on new shifter).
if you want upgrades on a budget, come summer, get a nice pair of tyres and a new set of cables, this will make a surprisingly large difference to speed, comfort and shift quality.
hope all this helps  4

Latest Comments