Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cole Roleen Lite freehub making a grating noise

I have set of Cole Rollen Lights and the rear makes a grating noise. they have sealed bearings. When holding the ends of the QR spindle it spins smoothly but when I try and turn the freehub it offers some resistance. Do I need to take it apart and clean it. If I do how do I do it. You tube shows how to service hubs but this seems different.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

cycling_matt | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Pablo, I will see if Cole themselves can help before my heavy handedness ruins them completely.
One thing I have found is there are so many variations from manufacturers

pablo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't know the hub specifically but I've just rebuilt by fulcrum freehub. The freehub span freely but would grind occasionally while riding to the point you could feel it through the frame. I checked the manufacturers website and you need to replace the entire thing but in reality it's easy enough to chance the cartridge bearings. I'd recommend checking the manufacturers website and have a look in their service section.

If it is cartridge bearings knock them out with a screwdriver or punch (check for circlips) on the seal you'll see some numbers go on eBay and order some. Put in them back in is just as easy knock them in using a socket just smaller than the outside Diameter of the bearing or make yourself a small bearing press out of some threaded bar and some appropriately sized washers and nuts (I did this it's safer).

When I got it all apart the inner race had crumbled and was locking.

Latest Comments