Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Dragon Ride Logistics

Looking for suggestions & advice on logistics - transport & accommodation - for Dragon Ride.

I'm travelling from Guildford, so transport choice is between taking the train or driving down. I prefer the train, but not sure how practical it is - would love to know if anyone from London/SE has done that before.

Also, have no idea for where to start looking for accommodation - for one, on the cheaper side. Any tips, hints, suggestion would be really helpful.

Cheers!

Adi

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

middlering | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all!

Looks like the train is a reasonable option. Need to book some acco first. On it!  1

Cheers!

Adi

fitzey50 | 9 years ago
0 likes

most places i have stayed let you bring the bike in. ( make sure its clean ).
if they lock it away for you make sure that someone will be about the next morning to get it for you.
i did a sportive in wales last year and was playing to leave for 7am, There was not a sole about so i coundnt get the bike out,
they turned up at 730 to start cooking breakfasts,
put me half an hour behind so i had to rush to get to the start

Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Be careful with taking your bike on great western trains. They only have a limited number of bike spaces (about 6) and the conductors are particularly anal about how bikes are stored in there. You have to reserve a bike space when booking your ticket, but you have no way of knowing if your spot has been reserved until the tickets are in your hands. In my case i booked a return trip last year from London (for the dragon ride) and when i went to get my tickets printed off at the collect machine i noticed i only had a bike spot reserved for the return journey and not for the outbound journey. The booking system is so primitive that it cannot confirm to you whether your bike reservation has gone through, or that its fully booked when making your booking and you risk finding out 15 mins before your train leaves that you haven't got a reservation. Luckily for me, one of the reserved spots was vacant and the conductor let me take it.

rogermerriman | 9 years ago
0 likes

you have to book trains on great western but it works well enough. not much longer journey either.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

the event page has some faq hints and tips on accommodation.
go here ... http://humanrace.co.uk/events/cycling/dragon-ride ... and scroll down  1

fitzey50 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Im staying in a premier inn near the start, its not cheap, i think they push the prices up when they know the big cycling events are on.

middlering replied to fitzey50 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks fitzey50!

Do they have cycle storage (or allow it in the room)? Or are you planning to keep it in the car?

Latest Comments