Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Peak on helmet- against 'the Rules'?

Not sure why having a peak on your helmet is against 'the Rules' as mine has been useful in early morning sun; with my large head a cap under trhe helmet is not an option. Maybe at 65 I could get a certificate of exemption, which could include my touring rear rack.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

32 comments

DaveG | 9 years ago
0 likes

LOL. A little game, read through the thread and guess who's serious and who's not!

fukawitribe replied to DaveG | 9 years ago
0 likes
DaveG wrote:

LOL. A little game, read through the thread and guess who's serious and who's not!

(if that's directed at me) ... andyp sounds serious, hence me too - most other folk not (which is what the discussion had started out like). Just don't like preference and/or ignorance masquerading as fact. Whatever.

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm more than happy to listen to it, what a daft thing to say.
I still can't see a need for them. You do wear eye protection, right? That would solve all of those problems *and* keep your peepers safe...

fukawitribe replied to andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes
andyp wrote:

I'm more than happy to listen to it, what a daft thing to say.

Not really, "Peaks are pointless both on and off road. Just take it off and chuck it." sounded pretty unequivocal to me.

andyp wrote:

I still can't see a need for them.

Fair enough, your choice.

andyp wrote:

You do wear eye protection, right? That would solve all of those problems *and* keep your peepers safe...

I prefer to avoid as much rain on the glasses (when worn) as possible and prefer not having glasses on in the first place - it's my preference although I seem to be able to often see better without glasses but with a peak, rather than no peak or sometimes peak + glasses.

You may not agree, but that doesn't make them pointless.

andyp replied to fukawitribe | 9 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

That's an extremely fair comment.
of course not serious - other than the need for eye protection each and every time one rides a bike...

0 likes
andyp wrote:
Quote:

That's an extremely fair comment.
of course not serious - other than the need for eye protection each and every time one rides a bike...

My humour detector must have been bust - fair enough.

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

'Off road they do make a lot of sense. Completely different riding position. '

Why do they make any sense at all, no matter what the riding position?

0 likes
andyp wrote:

Peaks are pointless both on and off road. Just take it off and chuck it.

andyp wrote:

'Off road they do make a lot of sense. Completely different riding position. '

Why do they make any sense at all, no matter what the riding position?

I've found them useful on and off road (cap or helmet peak) to act as a partial shield when it's pissing it down, especially when i'm trying to get a riddle on - occasionally helpful with high sun and the odd wayward branch.

You seem to have made your mind up, so I don't expect you to agree or listen to any of that, but thought i'd mention my experience with them anyway.

le Bidon | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't know how you can justify the added weight of a peak...

joemmo replied to le Bidon | 9 years ago
0 likes
le Bidon wrote:

I don't know how you can justify the added weight of a peak...

well it's usually offset by the slight lift effect you get once travelling about 20mph. at 27mph it's equivalent to removing the non-rotating mass of several pies.

PaulBox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wear what you want, just ride and enjoy.

hampstead_bandit | 9 years ago
0 likes

when I got back into road riding I first used my mountain bike lid (a light weight XC racing model) but found the peak would obstruct my vision when on the drops, and the peak started to flutter when going over 40mph down a hill, which was irritating

I don't think I've ever gone 40mph on a XC bike, certainly gone over 40mph on my downhill mountain bike, but wearing a full face helmet where the peak is secured with three bolts

So I got a road helmet, and kept the mtb lid for the mountain bike  1

Flying Scot replied to hampstead_bandit | 9 years ago
0 likes
hampstead_bandit wrote:

when I got back into road riding I first used my mountain bike lid (a light weight XC racing model) but found the peak would obstruct my vision when on the drops, and the peak started to flutter when going over 40mph down a hill, which was irritating

Quite correct, though they don't all flutter, if you intend to use the drops, you cant see where you are going, which is why cycle caps have had the little snap up and down skips since Coppi was at school.

If you dont get down, a skip is fine, though then so should flat bars.....

mattydubster | 9 years ago
0 likes

If I saw you I don't think I'd even notice..

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

IMO the rules are there as a guide to looking good and not much else. If using a peak allows you to ride in more comfort and get more miles then so be it...this is more important than sticking to a set of tongue in cheek rules..although when they're followed the cyclist does look good  16
You may get the odd snob turning their nose up at you but that's their problem.
If you're on two wheels and having fun, at the end of the day that's all that matters  4

fenix | 9 years ago
0 likes

If the peak is low then the road position might give you an unnatural bend in your neck to look up the road. That's about the only reason not too though.

Off road they do make a lot of sense. Completely different riding position.

joemmo replied to fenix | 9 years ago
0 likes
fenix wrote:

If the peak is low then the road position might give you an unnatural bend in your neck to look up the road. That's about the only reason not too though.

Off road they do make a lot of sense. Completely different riding position.

This is true but at least some manufacturers have worked this out. I have a giro xar and the peak can be pushed high enough back so you can still see comfortably from the drops.

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

Peaks are pointless both on and off road. Just take it off and chuck it.

badback | 9 years ago
0 likes

Tend to wear a cap under my helmet as I'm getting thin on top and it keeps me a bit warmer.

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men." - Douglas Bader

Cyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

No peak, Road..... Peak, MTB has been an unwritten rule since the early nineties, it has nothing to do with velowanker rules. It's blood obvious why... On the drops you won't see a thing with a fixed peak. But wear what you want.

gdmor10 | 9 years ago
0 likes

The rules are mostly tongue in cheek, personally I prefer short socks...

mike the bike | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think everybody should follow The Rules except me, for, as my social worker says, I am special.

And also, I find the peak on my "racing" helmet very handy for blocking out the glare from oncoming headlights during my dark commute. A slight nod of the head and I can see where I'm going again.

jacknorell | 9 years ago
0 likes

The peak is quite good for dealing with rain or bright sunshine...

The 'rules' aren't exactly serious.

Bazza155 | 9 years ago
0 likes

You're old enough not to give a toss. I wear my helmet with a peak, as I can't be asked to take it off for the road bike and put it on for the Mountain bike...it stays on.

rggfddne | 9 years ago
0 likes

The idea that someone can look good with a plastic hat on their head...

Leviathan replied to rggfddne | 9 years ago
0 likes
nuclear coffee wrote:

The idea that someone can look good with a plastic hat on their head...

Helmets are cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWf8CXwPoqI
A lot of these people are wearing helmets and they are awesome, with or without one. Perhaps it is the person wearing the helmet that is not so good looking...

As for peaks on helmets, whatever floats your boat. You don't need to follow 'the rules' as long as you have a strong sense of your own rules.

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I love how seriously the 'anti-rules' brigade get.

But if you want to look good, you do need to follow them...

Simon E replied to glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes
glynr36 wrote:

I love how seriously the 'anti-rules' brigade get.

But if you want to look good, you do need to follow them...

Yeah, of course you do  21

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wear what you like, ride what you like, go where you like.

And I wouldn't waste your time on sad types who quote childish 'rules'.

Paul J | 9 years ago
0 likes

So just wear a cap without a helmet.

Pages

Latest Comments