Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Replace cassette and/or chain ring(s)

I have an old-ish road bike which I'd like to update to make my winter/trail/commuter bike - the thing is the gearing isn't particularly suited to the Derbyshire hills (or my current fitness level) with 52/38 and a 12-26 cassette.

The bike has an 8-speed Shimano 2300 grouspet - would it be practical (possible?) to replace just the 38 chainring with a 34 and the cassette with something with a wider range (11-30 maybe?). I'd drop some suitable 700x25 or 28's tyres on too.

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

AlexF389 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not sure about the chainset but I'm running a mixture of 8 speed 2300 and 2400 Claris on my Allez. With a compact up front I'm just about to run an 11-28 cassette with a standard 2300 rear derailleur, any more and I'd have to get a long cage derailleur  1

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

It will be possible to replace the rear cassette, however the front inner chainring will not be able to be shrunk as the chainset will probably be 130 BCD, (distance between chainring bolts) and 38 tooth is the smallest that fits on 130bcd....to make the chainring smaller, a new chainset would be needed. (110 BCD would allow a compact chainset)

Latest Comments