Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

recovery drinks

No, not Ale.
I have tried SiS, CNP and a concoction I made up by mixing whey and maltodextrin from Myprotein.
As I get older I know that I need it as I feel run down the day after a good session on the bike.
I'm about to buy some more and would be interested if anyone has any tips.
Ta Andrew

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

How were you mixing the whey:carbs? As in the ratio?

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Maltrodextrin and whey, 3.6:1 ratio in water.
Where the weight of protein is determined at 0.5g/kg body weight.
Actual weights of the carbs and whey are worked out to give me the exact mix (some whey has more carbs than others in, take a look at the nurtitional data)
Took a while of experimenting with the ratio but this works best for me, usually only after a fairly long ride and always any race.

You need to find what works for you, but not every ride needs a recovery drink, it's just piling more weight on otherwise.

sincadena | 9 years ago
0 likes

usually only go for a recovery drink in summer or if it's been a 6hr ride. iso it would be Milo, and 50/50 mix of water and fresh semi-skimmed.

chocolate milk if I can't get /don't have the recovery mix. Also used High5's recovery drink.

pot of tea also works a treat!

Cyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

Coconut milk, whey protein, mixed frozen berries. Blend. One hour later, Bacon & scrambled eggs on good quality toast.

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Does Soya milk have the same benefits as I am lactose intolerant

Man of Lard | 9 years ago
0 likes

Milk! (It worked for Ian Rush...) - 1% fat milk.

sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes

As you already use MyProtein...

I have the same breakfast every day - just larger portions if I'm going out for a 4-5 hour ride.

I buy a 2.5kg bag of the instant oats (MyProtein), which I mix well with 2kg of bog-standard porridge oats from the supermarket.

Breakfast is two scoops of the oats mixture + one scoop of flavoured impact whey protein (MyProtein). Mix it together with some milk and you've essentially got a cold, flavoured porridge.

I'm relatively slim so don't tend to have a lot of excess fuel on me, if I don't eat I get very hungry very quickly. This is the only breakfast I've found that tides me over till lunch (7am to 1pm) without hunger pangs (short of a massive fry-up) - it's also very good for you.

You get quick and slower release carbs from the mix of ground and unground oats. You also get a pre-load of protein which your body can use for repairs to your muscles.

On a long ride I supplement the breakfast with some malt loaf, other than that I just eat "normally" after I finish my ride, I don't take any extra measures to recover.

Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes

Recovery takes place on the bike, which is why I drink 4:1......

Sounds a bit like an advert tagline, but 4:1 is good. It's also important to make sure you hydrate afterwards, so I would recommend supping electrolyte drinks (like Nuun) until you feel refreshed.

You can be suckered into all these recovery drinks. While it is important to replace proteins you can get these from eating healthy meals. Much of the process of recovery relies on you being well hydrated so your cardio-vascular system can transport goods in and remove the bi-products of your workout. Drinking a recovery drink is likely to overload your system with calories and amino acids which your body will use to replace proteins, but will also canabalise and turn into carbohydrates and waste products which your body then has to process on top of everything else.

You can't store the protein/aa's so anything you can't lay down is useless.

Effective protein/amino acid usage is maximised by steroids, but in a healthy balanced diet (as long as you're eating well) should provide enough. Hydrating though is key.

the_jm | 9 years ago
0 likes

High 5 Summer fruits and skimmed milk. Usually blitzed with some strawberries and/or raspberries.

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

a beer ?

Shep73 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Torq, tastes nice and no added sugars in their recovery or energy drinks.

Simon E replied to Shep73 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Shep73 wrote:

Torq is the only brand I would trust. Matt will not compromise so they won't put any sh*t like sweeteners or padding in their products. However, unless you're doing really hard back-to-back days you're better off improving your diet - eat more eggs, nuts, fish and lots of fresh veg.

ianrobo wrote:

Yes. Some people argue it's better for you but there are differing opinions and the research I've seen is inconclusive.

Shep73 replied to Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:
Shep73 wrote:

Torq is the only brand I would trust. Matt will not compromise so they won't put any sh*t like sweeteners or padding in their products. However, unless you're doing really hard back-to-back days you're better off improving your diet - eat more eggs, nuts, fish and lots of fresh veg.

ianrobo wrote:

Yes. Some people argue it's better for you but there are differing opinions and the research I've seen is inconclusive.

I don't use anything else, and I have had dealings with Torq about nutrition, they were very helpful so I will stick with them. Even if you ride every other day, it's still worth getting a dose of protein in. Their Vanilla energy drink is nice as well, I have to have fairly strict diet with no/very low salt so it plays a part in keeping me on the bike and feeling ok off it after the ride.

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

A big bag of why protein from the supermarket, added to milk with chocolate nes-quik. But as crikey says, make sure to do a bunch of work before bothering with it.

wellcoordinated | 9 years ago
0 likes

High 5 chocolate recovery drink. No idea whether it does any good but the taste with milk is great.

burglarboycie replied to wellcoordinated | 9 years ago
0 likes
wellcoordinated wrote:

High 5 chocolate recovery drink. No idea whether it does any good but the taste with milk is great.

I've always used this too and found it to be pretty effective. Tastes really good too.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Be careful that your use of 'recovery' drinks isn't simply piling in a lot more calories than you actually expend.

Nixster | 9 years ago
0 likes

Semi-skimmed with a dollop of whichever whey protein is on offer at Tesco - as long as its chocolate.

Or just chocolate milk  3

Its only one bit of nutrition in the context of a whole week's worth of food though and I'd guess the wider picture has more influence on overall performance.

stenmeister | 9 years ago
0 likes

Goat's milk for me because the fat in it is easier to digest than cow's milk

fukawitribe | 9 years ago
0 likes

Milk or, if i'm pushing the boat out, semi-skimmed chocolate milk shake drinks. And water. And salami (obviously).

wellcoordinated replied to fukawitribe | 9 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:

Milk or, if i'm pushing the boat out, semi-skimmed chocolate milk shake drinks. And water. And salami (obviously).

Definitely salami. I call it recover sausage – it sound more technical and therefore must be better than regular sausage.

Latest Comments