Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheel Wear

Apologies because I'm guessing this is a pretty basic question but one of the, what I believe to be wear dots, has now disappeared on my Shimano RS10s (front wheel).

The other three rim dots can still be made out on the front and rear wheels.

Is this a strict indicator that it's time to replace the wheels because the rims are dangerously worn, or is there a little leeway, especially because three dots are still showing? Would like to get through the remaining winter months without purchasing another set of wheels if possible.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Chris James | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't think the Shimano wear dots are very deep, and following the rule rigidly would lead to you changing the wheels well before they wore out and were dangerous.

On the other hand, the consequences of a front wheel blow out don't bear thinking about.

£68 sounds a very good price for RS10s so I would be tempted to splurge now if you have the cash.

FMOAB | 9 years ago
0 likes

The wear dots are a useful indicator, but with only one worn out I personally wouldn't worry. I've seen wheels become seriously concave and begin to splay out before they were replaced - I'm not recommending this, just noting that there is a fair margin of safety.

If I were you, I'd consider the rims to be on their way out and plan to replace them in the spring, but happily use them in the meantime.

wycombewheeler | 9 years ago
0 likes

If they are wear dots, personally i would be comfortable with 2 srill showing. Why wreck new rims in current condition? Others here are more cautious. You havd to decide your attitude to the risk. My question is why would thete be 3 dots still vosible ig the rims were alteady compromised?

Metjas | 9 years ago
0 likes

Probably no need to panic, but I note it's £68 for a replacement wheelset - do you want to wait until two, three or all four dots disappear? Unlikely disaster will strike in the next ride, but I bet you'll enjoy those descents more on a new wheelset.

Bazzo replied to Metjas | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys appreciate the comments.

As you say my decision at the end of the day - I'm tempted to try and get through the next few weeks on the old wheels but keep a very careful eye on them.

That said Metjas where did you see a set for £68?

Metjas replied to Bazzo | 9 years ago
0 likes
Bazzo wrote:

Thanks guys appreciate the comments.

As you say my decision at the end of the day - I'm tempted to try and get through the next few weeks on the old wheels but keep a very careful eye on them.

That said Metjas where did you see a set for £68?

on Wiggle

unistriker | 9 years ago
0 likes

Personally dont take notice of the etchings. The Stuff is metal once you feel its no longer stiff or find a visible crack. I would replace them.

unistriker | 9 years ago
0 likes

Personally dont take notice of the etchings. The Stuff is metal once you feel its no longer stiff or find a visible crack. I would replace them.

Scrufftie | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's your neck, decide whether you want to take the risk. Ride at the back of the bunch, though!

Latest Comments