Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Combo X01-CX1 Road 1x11 Groupset

Firstly, hello  4

Secondly, I had a slightly crazy idea...  16 Why not combine the SRAM X01 and CX1 groupsets to effectively produce a 1x11 road groupset?

This would require using the (10-42) cassette, derailleur and chain from X01 with a 46-tooth chainring and shifters/brake levers from CX1 (plus of course a custom rear wheel with the correct cassette body).

Using these parts, a gear ratio (Chainring/Cassette) of 1.10-4.60 - this isn't far off of a Compact and an 11-32 cassette at 1.06-4.55...

I understand that there might be a slight discrepancy in the cable pull required for the shifter/derailleur combo, and thought that might be sortable by replacing the internal barrel of the CX1 shift lever with a modified/custom version.

A plus of this system would also be the ability to easily change the gearing ratios of the entire bike for CX or similar by only changing a single chainring.

Sound plausibe/doable? or is it just crazy? Any other comments? Anyone ever tried anything like this?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

It certainly sounds doable, but I'm pretty sure you will need a custom shifter barrel to get the right cable pull.
Some guys on weightweenies have modified SRAM red (old 10 speed version) to work with a custom 11 speed cassette they built- but that only required cutting a notch on the barrel to gain the extra shift.
iirc the spacing on the barrel was unexpected/irregular too, further adding to the complications.

It is doable but is it really worth the effort and hassle when a compact has a bigger range and is proven, but also don't require gutting and heavily modding/fabricating parts of the shifter.
But if you do it I would like to see it and it would be a good little project to have  3

Latest Comments