Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

GPS computer for touring

Hello,

Are there any GPS computers out there that can upload ride data directly to strava or similar at the end of a ride?
I'm planning on doing some multiple-day tour rides this year and I'd like to be able to upload my progress at the end of each day without having a physical connection to a computer. I've been using a Garmin Edge 305 for years now and I know that the only way to upload with this is via USB but I'm sure the technology must have progressed since they were designed. I'll have a Samsung galaxy S5 with me which could be used as an internet connection, but the battery won't last long enough to record a full day's riding.
Any suggestions? What do others do when touring?

Thanks,
Rich

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

justinberman | 9 years ago
0 likes
geekinthesticks | 9 years ago
0 likes

For recharging phones use something like these. The smaller one will do about 2 recharges of my Nexus 5. The larger one will probably do 4 or 5.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001HG1ZFK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailp...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000UH46YY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailp...

Richthornton | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that, a good few ideas to consider there. I didn't know about USB on the go and that might be the way to go but I don't think the Edge 305 has the capacity to store a weeks worth of planned routes. 510 might be the way to go, but what reliable and effective chargers are out there that will charge a phone that is being used for navigating?

geekinthesticks | 9 years ago
0 likes

Most of the newer Garmins 510/810, etc can do this via bluetooth. However, you do need a smart phone with a data plan to e able to upload directly to the Garmin/Strava site. Your Galaxy S5 should work fine.

gazza_d | 9 years ago
0 likes

Has the S5 not got USB on the go, where you can get an adaptor and connect something like a garmin? I had a Galaxy note that did, and the wife's S3 lets me connect SD card readers etc.

Otherwise use the phone and either invest in a rechargeable battery pack or a hub dynamo which can be used to keep the phone powered via power adaptors. Some front lights have that facility built in now.

DanTe | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have a look a the higher end later model Garmins. With the Edge 810 there's a Bluetooth facility so you could send it to your phone then upload it. Do t know too much about the Edge 1000 but I'd guess it's the same. Reckon it's just those two that have it. I've got an 800 and it's not on that.
If you're proper touring you might benefit from the maps on those anyhows?

Latest Comments