Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cateye Strada Smart (CC-RD500B) vs Garmin 510

I've been looking at getting a Garmin, probably a 510, when this caught my eye:

/content/news/108748-cateye-launch-smartphone-compatible-strada-smart-computer

It can be had on a certain on-line retailer's site for just over £100 with speed/cadence sensor (I already have a Bluetooth HRM) and would seem to do most of what I want the 510 for i.e.:

Speed/Cadence/HRM on display (and power e.g. Stages, should I ever get one)
Customisable display (not as flexible as Garmin)
Usual elapsed time/distance/average speed computer stuff
Data logging and wireless upload to Strava (via iPhone)

Altitude will be GPS rather than barometric but I'm not bothered. It won't do any kind of navigation but I can use my phone for that. I certainly don't want my loved ones following my erratic progress around the countryside live on-line. And the whole system will be lighter because I'll be carrying my phone whatever I buy.

Other than the fact that I can't find any in-depth reviews of the Strada Smart and that, well, everyone has a Garmin, (all those lemmings can't be wrong?) I'm struggling for a reason not to save myself £130 (510 performance bundle on Handtec = £230).

Am I missing something? Should I just save up and get the Garmin 510 or is this the future? Particularly interested in hearing from anyone who owns one, thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments