Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Hello all!

Hello everyone,

Just joined, been riding MTB for quite a few years, full sus, rigid, single speed etc. I've just bought a Charge Plug 3 to get some road miles in, commute to work in etc.
New to the road scene so will probably be asking lots of daft questions!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Inbred853 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks both, bike came with Shimano SPD pedals, but I'll put flats in until I get some shoes and cleats. Used to the obvious know it all and negative types, I've been a member of the STW forum for years!
Lol the thinner tyre whilst expanding waist line, sounds about right.

sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cycling is the inverse of your age IMO, as you get older your tyres get skinnier while the rest of you expands...

(I switched from MTB to road about 15 months ago, haven't regretted it at all). The big thing for me was back pain (start doing some core workouts) from the stretched out position and getting used to rubbish brakes (in the wet at least).

P.S. get some cleats with loads of float and slacken off the tension, it will become second nature very quickly.

Good luck!

Tinternet_tim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Welcome!
I'm also another converted mtb'er and mainly do road cycling now.

Please feel free to ask questions as I am sure someone on here will have an answer...but do also search the forum first as the question and answer may have been posted before.

Most on here are friendly, but there are also some 'know it alls' and 'negative folk' so don't take it to heart if you get flippant responses....they can't help themselves  1

Welcome to road cycling and be prepared to swap your baggies for lycra, you will resist but it'll happen  3

stealfwayne | 9 years ago
0 likes

I did the same, brought a road bike after 15 years on MTB's now its my main ride.... so some stupid answers for you.
yes, do get cleated and clip in. Drop the camelback in favour of tools in a old drinks bottle. And get used to fixing punctures in the rain miles from home.
Oh, and not all drivers are like that. don't chase them down, i am sure he/she didn't mean it... stay safe out there

Inbred853 replied to stealfwayne | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks stealfwayne,
I've already got some good mates that I can join for rides and teach me the etiquette of the road. I've always ridden flat pedals MTBing so the clipped in bit will be a transition for me.

Latest Comments