Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help me understand a Mavic wheel upgrade

I'm thinking of a Rose Xeon CSL as my next bike. I don't know much about wheels though!
On the Rose website you can change almost all the components. The bike out of the box comes with Mavic Ksyrium Equipe S WTS wheels; my current bike has Campag Khamsin and I don't know how they would compare to each other. I suspect the Mavics might be a step up the ladder, but don't know.

On the configurator there are a dozen or so wheel options. Some are no cost, and some are extreme extra cost options. For an extra £123 I can switch to Mavic Ksyrium Elite S WTS wheels.

If I go really mad and spend an extra £366 I can have Mavic Ksyrium SLS WTS.

Has anyone got experience of these wheels, and are either of these upgrades worth it? The retail prices and weights (without tyres) according to the Mavic site are £390/1690g, £525/1520g and £790/1395g.

I don't race and am not in a club; I do about 5k miles a year, mainly commuting and rides with mates at the weekend.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

The Mavic Equipes are the wheel of the devil... only beaten in mediocrity by some of Zipp's alloy rimmed offerings.

Compared to the Khamsims, I'd say the Equipes will disappoint. However, the Mavics are bomb proof and the bearings will last forwever... Which is not necessarily the case with Khamsins.

The Elites are a worthy upgrade... You get the same rim technology as the top end Ksyrium, but with a cheaper and heavier steel spoke. A good compromise.

Would I go for the SLS? Not unless you were looking to compete or are focusing on sportive performance.

ct | 9 years ago
0 likes

I too have Elites...have had no problems in, what, 3 years of being ridden by a tubster.

Jez Ash | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd second the praise for the Elites - that's what I got on my Rose Xeon not far off two years ago. They're a decent weight, roll well and I've literally not yet had to true them once after several thousand miles.

Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Chasseur, exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I was dabbling further with the wheel options and there are 2 or 3 DT Swiss choices at no extra cost. Will look into them more.

Chasseur Patate | 9 years ago
0 likes

The Ksyrium Equipes sit right at the bottom of Mavic's Ksyrium range, only really separated from Aksiums by having bladed spokes a flashier paint job and a huge price leap. I inherited a white pair on an old bike and they were not a great deal to shout home about at all. Heavy, twitchy in crosswinds and draggy hubs. They won't feel like much of an upgrade at all from your Khamsins which are a great entry level wheel. The Ksyrium Elites are much better and worth the extra £123 outlay for your requirements. They're all the wheel most people will ever need.

Latest Comments