Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Di2 considerations and ponderings - yay or nay?

Looking to go Ultegra, and faced with the choice of mechanical or jumping to Di2.

This would be on a year round use bike, not planning to race it, just get out and ride - but treating myself a bit too.

So real world experiences of Di2 users appreciated, anyone that's tried both and their thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

All and any input welcomed to help with my decision making process.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

Guernsey Donkey | 8 years ago
0 likes

I agree with all of the above even though I have EPS.

One thing I will highlight is the lack of chain rub. I spent an age at the weekend on a sportive grinding up a long drag into the wind when I spotted another rider with a faster candace but with an obviously smaller cassette than me. A glance down confirmed that I was in 50-29 rather than the 34-29 that I thought! Sometimes that chain rub is a useful hint  3

tiddy | 8 years ago
0 likes

I use Ultegra Di2 with both 10 and 11 spd wheels, spacer fitted to 10 spd cassette.

Rob747 | 8 years ago
0 likes

if the bike was Di2, could you use 10 speed wheels / cassette?
I'm aware a spacer is reqd for a 10 speed cassette but isnt the chain narrower too?

tjm160 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks bobster, helpful thread and info. Can I just ask whether there is any residual chain rub with the auto trimming or whether the age-old cross-over issue has been resolved completely with the advent of Di2?

MrMajic replied to tjm160 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I can answer that - once correctly set up the chain won't rub if you cross the two extremes of the gearing. You still shouldn't do it though, as it means that the chain isn't running straight which will load the rollers un-evenly. I've had Di2 for a year or so now and I would definitely buy it again. That said, I have mechanical on my winter bike - it seems like an unnecessary expense for a winter bike.

bobster | 8 years ago
0 likes

For anyone that stumbles across this thread in the future.

I went with the Di2 in the end, had it for about 6 weeks now, absolutely loving it, glad I went with it, so effortless in use, easy to check battery level and auto trimming is fantastic.

flippineck | 9 years ago
0 likes

i to have two di2 10 speed and 11 speed
And 105 set up 10 speed compact 105 10 cassett triple

Do prefer the di2 with the 10 cassette scram powerdome X and 901scram chain

72vintage | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have ultegra di2 on one bike and 105 5800 on the other. Love them both but di2 edges it for me. Shifting is so smooth and precise and I've had no issues mechanically or electronically in 2 years (cue meltdown). Hoods are a touch more comfortable too.

Tinternet_tim | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a number of friends with ultegra Di2 and all love it, so if you make the jump I'm sure you'll not be disappointed.

Having said that, I've no interest in it as I've never had an issue with mechanical ultegra, it's dead easy to maintain and cheaper to replace when things finally wear out or go wrong (commute big gets caked in muck!)

Tinternet_tim | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a number of friends with ultegra Di2 and all love it, so if you make the jump I'm sure you'll not be disappointed.

Having said that, I've no interest in it as I've never had an issue with mechanical ultegra, it's dead easy to maintain and cheaper to replace when things finally wear out or go wrong (commute big gets caked in muck!)

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

if you have the cash for Di2 would be daft not to.

When I witched from mech Campag to EPS then the difference is fantastic, I am sure the same applies to Shimano.

kev-s | 9 years ago
0 likes

i have ultegra di2 on my workbike, 100 miles a week and used in all weathers and its been faultless

if u can afford a little extra buy the diagnostic kit aswell, allows you to customise shifting etc.. also handy if you do get a fault

dont worry about flatting the battery, just check the battery indicator before each ride, even if you forget the front mech will stop working first and you will get 50-70 miles from the rear mech (depending on how often u shift) then if u manage to fully flat the battery then the system will just stay in the selected gear so the bike can still be ridden

massivecompacthalo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've had it for about 3500kms and I love it. Battery not an issue, it did 2000km on the first charge and it's easy to check the charge level with the small control box. I check it every couple of rides just to make sure. For me it's the precision and near silence that I love and the fact that you just prod gently on the buttons, so little effort. I have another bike with mechanical and I don't enjoy it half as much.
Typically ride between 100 and 250km a week in all weather.

bobster | 9 years ago
0 likes

The battery is the bit that concerns, how do you know when to charge?

Are the horror stories just people not monitoring their usage, and not looking after it properly?

CXR94Di2 replied to bobster | 9 years ago
0 likes

You press and hold a lever then the head unit display a light, green is fully charged. If you were daft enough to go out with a very low battery then the first thing to stop working would be the front derailleur. Allow several hundred changes on the rear derailleur before it stopped working.

Reg Molehusband | 9 years ago
0 likes

I would love Di2 and my frame has all the mounting points for it - but it's way over my budget. I have heard a stories about batteries running out of power on really long rides and non availability of some parts for earlier versions. How true I don't know.

arfa | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have mates who swear by Di2 but when it goes wrong, it's a trip back to the dealer..... In one instance, the unit failed in the rain and it was one gear all the way back home.
For me, it's out of my budget anyway but I prefer mechanical simplicity myself as I can always bodge a fix to get home.
Isn't Cancellera the only pro hold out against Di2 ?

fenix | 9 years ago
0 likes

I know my mates who have Di2 swear by it.

That said my mechanical ultegra never skips a beat either.

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have di2 it is so smooth easy to change gear and has been perfect in all weather including doing the torrential London 100 last year. Battery last for weeks without recharging I do a recharge twice a month. Get the battery which fits inside the down tube. Nice feature di2 has is multi shift - keep the button pressed and it changes up through the gears rapidly

Colin Peyresourde replied to CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

How often and how long are you riding?

bobster replied to Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes

Typically couple of rides a week, extra when time allows.

Duration from 1 hour up to 4 hours.

Latest Comments