Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Injury blues

After a brief argument with the tarmac, my left forearm is in a cast. Not only can I not get out on the bike, but I now have to endure the Northern line twice a day. It's two weeks since the crash and I've at least another six weeks until the cast comes off. I'm trying to stay positive, but am increasingly frustrated, so I'm looking for some tips, particularly exercises to maintain the legs. I'm booked to ride the Maratona dles Dolomites in July and still hope to make it, but I really don't want to start training from a zero base in, say, mid-March.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Kadinkski | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, i broke my hand a couple of weeks ago. Have a fibreglass cast till the end of Feb which they said don't get wet, but they didn't say anything about sweat so I took that to mean its okay to continue training. I'm going to the canaries for some cycling in late March and don't want to be an unfit blob starting from scratch.

So I started going to the gym this week - just easing back into it on the cycling machines - they're quite good because I can do it sitting up without putting any weight on my hands. I don't have a turbo trainer but I think that would be much more difficult/uncomfortable to sit up on.

So far so good, will be upping the intensity gradually.

Beefy | 9 years ago
0 likes

I was off the bike during December, Following a pelvic injury, as I recovered I could do a little but full on riding was out of the question even now it's taken easily as if I fall it will be square one. I've been using TrainerRoad you need either a power meter or rear wheel speed and cadance sensor along with heart rate and in my case a very cheep ant+ plus sensor.

I've found it a tottal revelation I've used a structured training Plan and I actually think using TR will have me at my fittest level of riding since my 30s, I'm 45 this year. I'm hoping to be accepted for london and will try and raise some money for a cancer charity as a colleague who has nursed for many many years with great compassion has sadly lost his wife from a short fight against cancer and then his father both during December, leaving him with two small children. Sorry I digress.

Get on your turbo! And I would recommend TR it is fantastic, 9/10 would be 10/10 if suffer fest videos were included in the price. Word of caution, don't put too much weight in your injured wrist and if cast is old plaster rubbish go to your local plaster clinic and demand fibre glass player may be very retro cool and easy to draw on but its not the 70s and it will get damaged with high levels of sweat. Mind then they WILL have to replace it

SideBurn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Doing exercise without sweating; hmmm that is a tough one! But walking is better than nothing, what about walking with ankle weights?

srchar | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had plaster at first but I'm now in fibreglass - I have it changed weekly as the wounds from the open fracture and surgery need to be checked regularly for infection. I've also been told not to get a sweat on, so most exercise seems to be out of the window and there are only so many long walks you can do in London before it gets a bit tedious!

SideBurn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ouch!
Ouch!
Ouch!
But;
Have a read of this...
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/fitness/training/detraining-the-truth-abo...
The article is saying that you can maintain your fitness by doing very little, as long as it includes high intensity work outs. Initially this is not going to be easy (sweat) but it can be done with a turbo and a fan to keep you cooler! Longer term, exercise should help the healing process, but take it easy at first. Good luck!

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I am in the same boat except I can't do exercise at all - broken foot. I was told not to get the cast wet either by water or sweating, they begin to smell and you can get sores from the dampness. Is your cast plaster or fibreglass type?

Re training go to spin classes, do lunges, free weight squats and leg presses. Stretching would keep you ready.

Latest Comments