Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The annualRide London kick in the face.

So February is coming and so is the Commiserations kick in the face from Ride London I've found out that I'm not in and so can you, albeit on a smart phone. Follow the link and sign in, click view and then receipt and if it says cancelled just sit back and wait for the kick in the face from the Postie. Good luck with it though.

https://regonline.activeeurope.com/register/login.aspx?eventid=1589802&m...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

86 comments

joemmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Same here. Anyone want to buy an unused "I didn't ride London" jersey? BNIB.

Jediboy | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm in - Riding for The Christie in memory of my brother . I'm also in The New York Five Boro ride again racing money for The Christie...so feeling a little blessed tonight . For every £ I raise my employer will match upto a mx of £3000.
Www.justgiving.com/Jarrod-Ashton

S13SFC | 9 years ago
0 likes

Only 1 out of the 16 I know that entered got a place.

I'm off the the Pyrenees instead.

Frazzler | 9 years ago
0 likes

3rd entry for me and 3rd rejection, I'm a member of British Cycling and live in London, this ballot is just rubbish. I know people who are on their 3rd successful entry, how is this fair?

rabc | 9 years ago
0 likes

Failed. I'm not even sure why I entered the ballot to be honest, I hate cycling with others!!! It must have been the overwhelming sense of offering money to charity I guess. I don't think I'll bother again, I'll continue to ride my bike where I want to go and enjoy not stopping every 50m because someone in front gets a bit brake happy!

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

My magazine came today with over 60 Charities advertising their guaranteed spots, for as little as £450.

By the way, I pity you Rabc (nesbitt?) How dare they close the roads then let OTHER cyclists ride on them. Stick to your open roads then, I am sure you will go a lot faster, please do post your strava logs to prove how much quicker you are through those red lights.

MatthewH | 9 years ago
0 likes

Annoyed last year, happy this. Will be the second loop for my bike, though - it stepped in at the last minute when a friend's custom seatpost clamp failed the night before.

Given the route change last time we (well, I hope!) won't be able to compare times unfortunately!

Beefy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Rejected 3rd time, next year I will try entering a very fast predicted time. Still can do the Cav sportive instead. The ballot is bollox and should be made farer.

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well don't enter a fast predicted time just for the sake of it - the whole point of the predicted times is so the faster riders don't get clogged up, and you get suitable groups forming from each of the start waves.
It can actually get quite dangerous if slower riders are mixing with faster ones - not used to riding in groups at speed, mistakes can get made. And on the hills if a bunch of slower riders are in front of faster ones, it's gridlock. No fun for anyone.

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

I agree on balance though that the ballot really ought to be fairer. I put down that I'd ridden twice before, and as far as I remember it was linked to the same email, so why their magical number picker decided I should ride again I do not know.
Oh well. Just as well I love 4am alarms  31

Anthony.C | 9 years ago
0 likes

It looks like I didn't get in this year but I thnk that might be a good thing. I did the first one for charity and got in by the ballot last year but it's a load of hassle picking up the documents before the event and last year I got hypothermia at the end because of the awful weather. It's worth doing once to ride through London on closed roads.

Kellar | 9 years ago
0 likes

I got in via the ballot in 2013 and again this year.

Last year I got a place via the British Cycling clubs ballot where my club got an allocation of 12 places (three teams of four). I assume they will do something similar this year?

So if any of you are in clubs (and have a BC membership) and missed out keep an eye on that as you maybe able to get in that way (if you can find three club mates to drag along).

chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes

Kick in face received and graciously accepted but I do not recall asking them to send me a shit-filled glossy magazine which has gone straight into the recycling box.

cidermart | 9 years ago
0 likes

They'd save even more if they emailed, it's not like they don't have your email address. Having received three of these I already know it's full of patronising crap so I just cut my address off of it and binned it without opening.

gdmor10 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I was lucky and I did get in on my first time of applying, however I think I agree with the sentiments of the people who were upset with the glossy commiserations magazine, when I saw it was a magazine I sort of assumed it was a yes, if it had then turned out to be a no then it would have been annoying.

gdmor10 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I was lucky and I did get in on my first time of applying, however I think I agree with the sentiments of the people who were upset with the glossy commiserations magazine, when I saw it was a magazine I sort of assumed it was a yes, if it had then turned out to be a no then it would have been annoying.

d_jp | 9 years ago
0 likes

Second year applying, second commiserations magazine. Last year I opted to ride via a charity place, unlikely to do so this year even though I enjoyed the ride, despite it being rather wet... only here could I say that & not be automatically assumed to be completely mad  3

... I did say not automatically, there's plenty more evidence  21

I agree that an email with a link to the website for charity spaces would be preferable to getting a glossy "here's what you could have won...!"

Leodis | 9 years ago
0 likes

Oh well thats another ride full of MAMIL's who have no idea of group riding I will miss.. Not bitter at all

Judge dreadful | 9 years ago
0 likes

Louis_A | 9 years ago
0 likes

A lot of people here are disappointed with the result of the ballot but there is still plenty of opportunity to take part in the race!
There are charity places still available through children and babies' charity Theirworld. Email info [at] theirworld.org for more details.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Jesus, what a lot of petulant whining...

julianrh | 9 years ago
0 likes

This may be controversial but I believe this should be a ride for people who like to ride; it shouldn't be a charity event - why do all those charities seem to get guaranteed places? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against charities (some of my best friends etc, etc) but it seems a bit of a racket to me. Call it sour grapes if you like, after all this is the third year I've failed to get in. Anyway, my entry fee has gone to charity and I now have two Prudential 'loser' jackets.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

I believe this should be a ride for people who like to ride

You mean only real cyclists should be able to do the pretend race?

pruaga | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just thinking out loud here, but...

As I understand it, the whole course is on public roads that are closed for the day. There would be nothing to stop a large enough group just turning up to the 'start' on any old Sunday morning to do it themselves? I know a lot of the roads are not usually nice cycling routes, but if there were enough people a critical mass could form giving safety in numbers.

Anthony.C | 9 years ago
0 likes

It would be a rather sad and pathetic thing to do which doesn't stop some people from doing it every year. Anyone who is that desperate just do it for charity, you only have to raise a few hundred quid.

runskiprun | 9 years ago
0 likes

got it first time. really looking forward to it too. One more thing to tick off the bucket list.

#humblebrag

Leviathan replied to Frazzler | 9 years ago
0 likes
Frazzler wrote:

3rd entry for me and 3rd rejection, I'm a member of British Cycling and live in London, this ballot is just rubbish. I know people who are on their 3rd successful entry, how is this fair?

Its not fair but it is random. I got in the last two years but not this one. With this many applicants and people repeating you are going to get a lot of people unhappy and some doubling and tripling up. Keep your chin up Frazzler and apply again in August it is well worth it, I know I will again.

LondonDynaslow replied to chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes
chokofingrz wrote:

Kick in face received and graciously accepted but I do not recall asking them to send me a shit-filled glossy magazine which has gone straight into the recycling box.

"Let have a look at what you *could* have won".

Daveyraveygravey replied to Leodis | 9 years ago
0 likes
Leodis wrote:

Oh well thats another ride full of MAMIL's who have no idea of group riding I will miss.. Not bitter at all

...or condescending...

CXR94Di2 replied to julianrh | 9 years ago
0 likes
julianrh wrote:

This may be controversial but I believe this should be a ride for people who like to ride; it shouldn't be a charity event - why do all those charities seem to get guaranteed places? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against charities (some of my best friends etc, etc) but it seems a bit of a racket to me. Call it sour grapes if you like, after all this is the third year I've failed to get in. Anyway, my entry fee has gone to charity and I now have two Prudential 'loser' jackets.

If you're happy for your entry fee to go to charity then take a charity place. Raise as much as you can, top it up if you are charitable. The event is without its issues but it is a great event, great location and very well received by the thousands of supporters who line the event.

Pages

Latest Comments