Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New bike - focus on steel

Hi guys,

I am planning to get a first road bike by end of next month and these are my following candidates:

1) Bianchi Impulso 2015 (alu)- Veloce groupset with Fulcrum 7 wheels
2) Bianchi Vigorello 2015 (Bianch steel) - 105 Groupset with Fuclrum Sport wheels
3) Genesis Equilibrium 2015 non disc versions (Reynolds 725 frame) - Veloce/Athena with Alex wheels
4) Genesis Equilibrium 2015 disc versions - Tiagra/105 with TRP Spyre/Hy-Rd
5) Condor Fratello 2015 non disc - Veloce with some potentially cheaper wheels
6) Condor Fratello 2015 disc - Tiagra with TRP Spyre and potentially cheaper wheels
7) Condor Italia RC - Veloce with Fulcrum Sport

Looking at the choices, you can see my dilemmas. First dilemma is: disc or non-disc. Now, I am relatively new to road cycling and I plan to get into it a bit more (weekend rides and potential sportives). I have no plans on racing. I do commute to work in London though and this is where it will be used most + weekend rides. I know lots of guys are suggesting disc brakes are the way to go and it will be a standard in the future, but specs with disc brakes usually bring me level down in terms of groupsets and wheels - for the budget I have. Now, it might not be a bad thing - getting more modulation and reliability in brakes when it's pouring out there, while losing slightly in weight and slightly worse groupsets.

Dilemma 2: TRP Hy-Rd approaches hydraulic Shimano set up, while TRP Spyre is mechanical. Is there much to lose going for mechanical and wait a bit for better days when hydraulic brakes become cheaper and more affordable? Second issue is maintenance...caliper brakes I'm used to and it's relatively easy to maintain. Although, truing wheels annoys me. How hard is disc brake maintenance. I heard it can be annoying (constant adjustments etc.), which is obviously gone in hydraulic setups.

Thirdly, I tend to lean towards steel frames - given the comfort properties, little incentive for lightness and racing etc. However, I absolutely love the way Impulso looks + I heard it's a very comfortable bike. Plus I would be able to get a good look frame with full on Campy/Fulcrum combo. Same applies to Condor Italia RC - beautiful and comfortable bike. The rest of the pack is pure steel (more classic looks). Steel vs. mentioned alloys? Also, is there much difference between Reynolds 725, Mjolnir (cheaper Genesis range) and Columbus Spirit (Fratello) tubing? I assume I would never feel the difference between them.

In terms of looks, all bikes are beauties and in a way I love them all. Bianchis are old love, Genesis is super cool in British way and Condor is somewhat a mix of Italian and British style - at a price.

Yes, I have checked the likes of Focus, Cube, Boardman, Canyon, Rose etc. - some of the bikes are pretty (Boardman), but most of them look bland and soulless (my opinion), although great respect for what they present and the package you get for the price.

Much appreciated for all the comments!

Ogi

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

23 comments

therevokid | 8 years ago
0 likes

another option .... mason cycles ...  3

Ogi | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi guys,

Just to add that I finally decided on the Genesis Equilibrium Disc 20 (yellow), about a month and a half ago.

I decided to go for the 58 cm frame - size is ideal (60 would've been ok as well, but 58 is nice and controlling, slightly more aggressive). 105 11 speed is fantastic, brakes are fantastic (TRP highly recommended), wheels are a bit heavy but robust and easily go through non-smooth tarmac.

I have only superlatives for Genesis!!!!

Ogi

bigshape replied to Ogi | 8 years ago
0 likes
ivanovicognjen wrote:

Hi guys,

Just to add that I finally decided on the Genesis Equilibrium Disc 20 (yellow), about a month and a half ago.

good choice  3

the masons are lovely however, but (justifiably) pricey compared to the genesis.

my next upgrade will probably be the hunt x mason 4 seasons wheelset.

Ogi | 9 years ago
0 likes

Guys,

I heard many useful comments here. I appreciate it so much!

@Reggie

Many thanks for the insight on Aksyiums and braking in the wet/maintenance. I must say I'm much drawn into the TRPs. They seem great! I also heard good stories on Spyres.

@Bigshape

Is it 58 or 60? How tall are you? I'm 191, tried 58 and was nice and compact for me (more control), might prefer it to 60. Thoughts?

Somebody mentioned that I should definitely try and out several bikes and check geometries. One of things I was very sure was "comfortable bike" without being too aggressive on my lower back (I have problems with discs - even though I'm in early 30s :)). Now, Equilibrium is a benchmark (loved it). I checked all other bikes very thoroughly on geometries. Small differences!

O

bigshape replied to Ogi | 9 years ago
0 likes
ivanovicognjen wrote:

@Bigshape

Is it 58 or 60? How tall are you? I'm 191, tried 58 and was nice and compact for me (more control), might prefer it to 60. Thoughts?

it's a 58
i'm 181 - i ordered a 56 initially but it was out of stock so ordered the 58 to try and it felt right.

i have put a 110 stem on though (10mm shorter than stock) and narrower bars as i was used to 42's

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

Bigshape, is your user pic supposed to look like this?  20

bigshape | 9 years ago
0 likes

i have the equilibrium disc 20 as well.
i've done around 1k miles on it so far and it's been fautless.
really smooth to ride, brakes are great - haven't had to adjust them at all yet.
i've changed a few components but only due to personal preference (seat, bars, etc.)
can't fault it at all though! it's ace!

//photos-h.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t51.2885-15/10919315_771441026270815_83802615_n.jpg)

Reg Molehusband replied to bigshape | 9 years ago
0 likes
bigshape wrote:

i have the equilibrium disc 20 as well.
i've done around 1k miles on it so far and it's been fautless.
really smooth to ride, brakes are great - haven't had to adjust them at all yet.
i've changed a few components but only due to personal preference (seat, bars, etc.)
can't fault it at all though! it's ace!

//photos-h.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t51.2885-15/10919315_771441026270815_83802615_n.jpg)

Hi bigshape. What mudguards are you using. I'm going to have to fit some if I'm to get out more often. Only done about 600 mls on mine so far.

bigshape replied to Reg Molehusband | 9 years ago
0 likes
Reggie Plate wrote:

Hi bigshape. What mudguards are you using. I'm going to have to fit some if I'm to get out more often. Only done about 600 mls on mine so far.

sks chromoplastics, which have also been pretty faultless although a bit of a fiddle to fit initially. well worth it though!

letrip | 9 years ago
0 likes

Being a MTB rider who rides a lot on my road bike, I would definitely go for discs. They are a simple to set up when you have done it once. But boy oh boy the safety they bring in braking is massive. I really dislike my rim brakes on my spesh, braking in the wet takes forever. I don't know why it's been slow in road cycling to catch on, it's standard for MTB. As for groupset go for 105. When the cables need replacing (which will be quite some time) replace with ultegra cable set outer and inner. You'll struggle to tell much difference to a full ultegra groupset. And you can slowly upgrade parts as you go along due to high compatibility. Carbon or steel? I ride carbon for road, but my old steel roadbike is equally quick just doesn't look as sexy and I love that hum a carbon road bike emits when you are steaming along a road...... I only ride steel for MTB and downhill. Only because I can't afford to change a carbon bike every season like the Pro's and steel is pretty bombproof. So I guess in summary if it was a one road bike to do all including commuting, discs, 105 and steel. Erm carbon. Erm steel. No wait, carbon.........."-)

Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have put a deposit on a Condor Terra-X. I went 105 (11 speed to futureproof) and TRP Spyre, which is pretty much what the guys recommended in the shop - both calipers close on the disc which means that deformation of the pads happens equally, I understand that this gives it better performance feel, which is apparently as good as hydraulics without the faff of the maintenance. Given I'll be using the bike for my commute I wanted as little fuss/maintenance as possible.

On the frame material: you can't beat carbon. If you could the pros would be riding it. That doesn't mean to say that other materials don't have their place, but a lot of that is price point and practicality. Carbon bikes are probably more of a thief magnet, but steel/alu/Ti are hard wearing and less precious (in a way). Everyone on this site swears by the bike they have - but unless you've tried a lot and have test ridden and hired a butt load most people aren't qualified to say. T

he main thing to know is what you want: a fast bike with good handling, or a 'comfortable bike'. I would recommend that you just test bikes of different price ranges for you to understand what it is that you want most and then look for something in your price range that fits that best.

The worst bike I've test ridden is the Specialized Crossrip. Sounds like a fast bike, but feels like the tubing is filled with concrete. I'm not sure that I would recommend the Boardman after I was forced to ride their top of the range as a replacement for my bike during part of a sportive. I have also tried some hire bike Pinarello's. OK, but I'd need to try their mid to higher range bikes for me to be drawn (actually I think the wheel set was lousy). But I really quite liked the Rose. Good bikes which are definitely worth a look.

chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a Condor Acciaio and it's a lovely bike, virtually the same frame as the Fratello only 100g lighter (peanuts) and the chainstays are 2cm shorter. If I could change it for a Fratello I probably would, so I could have 28c tyres and proper mudguards in winter, instead of 25c and rubbing plastic guards. If I could also have disc brakes I would jump at the chance. The Acciaio is better as a summer bike but the Fratello is good all year round. Touring, Audax, training, sportives, commuting, whatever you fancy. Feels light, swift, practical and comfortable. Get thee to Gray's Inn Road and sit thy buttocks upon one.

RW | 9 years ago
0 likes

Some excellent points there about geometry and frame design. In addition to the Ridley and recent De Rosa I have an alu Focus. It's a cheap fully rigid mountain bike for bad weather commuting and leaving at the shops.

It's hugely comfortable - part of that is in the 40mm tyres, but it has more to do with the compliance built into the back end. You can feel it working to absorb rough roads.

Getting the right geo has to be the single most important thing to consider. You won't know what that is until you've tried a few bikes to see what works for you. Remember, what feels good during a 20 min test ride might not be comfortable or feel stable after 3 hours.

darrenleroy | 9 years ago
0 likes

I get very excited about the idea of buying and owning a lightweight steel frame, but saying that I have only ridden a 12-year-old Bianchi Mega Pro SL which is made of 7000 aluminium. The ride seems very forgiving to me, despite the age of the frame and the claims of aluminium being unforgiving. I wish someone with no axe to grind would take an alloy, a steel and ti bike in similar frame weights out and see if there really is a difference.

Rod Marton | 9 years ago
0 likes

I ride an Equilibrium (non-disc) and whilst it's excellent in most ways its one weak point is the brakes. Having mudguard clearances it uses long-reach calipers and these aren't terribly good. If you want to be able to fit mudguards, go disc. If you don't it's less clear-cut, but on balance I'd still go with discs.

There is a difference between the feel of the frame materials, but a lot of this can be overcome by design. Geometry is more important.

Obviously you are very concerned about the appearance of the bike, so you've got to go for Campag. For a given price Shimano might work better or be more durable, but it just isn't Campag.

P3t3 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Why not run a cheaper machine (or secondhand) for a year - if this is your first bike you most likely don't know what you want. Besides - it is going to get nicked at some point if you are using it in London.

If you are dead set on going for it then why don't you try and test ride some of the bikes on the list, its all well and good getting the spec right but if you don't actually like the bike then its is pointless. It will also help answer some of your questions about the type of kit on the bike, have you compared the groupsets in practice? Whatever decision you make you are going to have to live with it for a while so it is worth getting it right.

I wouldn't worry about frame material - this is a non issue - get the right bike. The comfort, handling etc is in the design of the bike, not the material its made of.

Ogi replied to P3t3 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I rode non-disc Equilibrium 2015 with Camp Veloce and it was super lovely. I liked it a lot, it was quite comfortable on 28mm tyres, not too aggressive. The frame material and geometry is the same for disc version - so that is more or less covered (the difference is a bit of weight and disc brakes).

Trying out Bianchis is more difficult to organise with the local dealers. I might push them a little bit and yes this is bugging me a bit. Regarding Condor, I wanted to go and see them and potentially try out the Fratello.

Regarding bike getting nicked - don't break my heart :(. I am aware of all the dangers (wanted to manage them and avoid dangers, as much as possible).

P3t3 replied to Ogi | 9 years ago
0 likes
ivanovicognjen wrote:

I rode non-disc Equilibrium 2015 with Camp Veloce and it was super lovely. I liked it a lot, it was quite comfortable on 28mm tyres, not too aggressive. The frame material and geometry is the same for disc version - so that is more or less covered (the difference is a bit of weight and disc brakes).

Trying out Bianchis is more difficult to organise with the local dealers. I might push them a little bit and yes this is bugging me a bit. Regarding Condor, I wanted to go and see them and potentially try out the Fratello.

So you've tried a relaxed mileage machine. Why not try something more racey and see if you like that.

For Bianchi test rides: Evans stock Bianchi and (at least in my local store) they are very obliging with a test ride (£50 deposit to get the bike in but refundable if you don't like the bike). They may not be the "best" bike shop in the world but they do at least let you try stuff properly before parting with your cash.

RW | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi Ogi, I recently sold a De Rosa Neo Primate (Deda steel). Stunning bike to ride. I sold it because it was too long and low for me but it convinced me that steel and titanium are my future. It weighed 2.5kg more than my carbon Ridley but was plenty quick with basic Fulcrum R7s and a sacrilegious 105 group.

Compared to my much pricier Ridley, it absorbed bad roads more smoothly and as a result cruised with seemingly less effort. It hunkered down satisfyingly through fast corners.

The skinny head tube and steel fork didn't feel as solid as oversized carbon and it got a little flexy under out-of-saddle loads. I should point out though that I weigh 92kg and squat three times that.

As for disc brakes - they'll be on my next bike. I wince every time I brake in the wet on rim brakes, just imagining those brake tracks eroding away.

Ogi | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi Reggie,

I love the yellow one. So cool...a good mix of classic and modern.

Are you happy with the wheels? People say the disc Aksyiums are great as well. What about brakes? Maintenance free?

Thanks!

Reg Molehusband replied to Ogi | 9 years ago
0 likes
ivanovicognjen wrote:

Hi Reggie,

I love the yellow one. So cool...a good mix of classic and modern.

Are you happy with the wheels? People say the disc Aksyiums are great as well. What about brakes? Maintenance free?

Thanks!

The Aksyiums have been fine so far. I weigh 95kg so was a bit worried after reading comments on other forums about heavy riders breaking spokes. However I needn't have worried. The brakes have been excellent. Just have to watch it in the wet, they're quite powerful. Maintenance so far has just been a wipe down after a ride and some lubricant.

Reg Molehusband | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi Ogi. I've got a Genesis too. It's the Equilibrium 20 disc brake version in 'magic yellow'. It's a great all round bike and I'm very happy with it.

mike the bike | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hello Ogi,

I have an Equilibrium, which manages to be both affordable and wonderful, so I am biased. But I do like the Fratello, which made it onto my shortlist, only to be narrowly beaten by the Genesis.

Mechanical discs, contrary to the fervent opinions of people who have never had them, are a doddle to adjust, service and repair. I am not especially adept at these things and yet I can do everything that's necessary in hardly any time at all.
Even the more complicated types, such as Shimano, with their retaining clips and springs are really simple once you have read the instructions.
Some, like most Hayes and Tektros, even have magnets to hold the pads in position. How much easier could it be?

So don't be shy, step into the 21st century and buy discs.

Latest Comments