Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Aero Rims/Wheels

Hi, looking for some 'sensible' advice on whether it is worth acquiring some Aero wheels (40mm+ rims). I am going to be doing some APRs and Time Trials this year, plus I am generally looking to go faster, further etc  1

I have built my way up doing various Sportives etc where I average 30km/h plus (Tour o Borders, Etape Loch Ness etc.). I have an FTP/kg of 3.25. Ride about 6,000 miles a year.

Would I see a difference running aero wheels on my Cervelo R3 which is currently sitting on Reynolds Attack wheels (light climbing wheels).

If so any suggestions if I have say £1,500 budget

ta.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

700c | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you can get used to tubs (and you will after a couple of goes gluing them..) then I'd suggest going this route for an all round aero+ lightweight+ good value.

If straight line flat speed is absolute priority, then the latest rim shapes, e.g. from Reynolds ('Aero' range) are supposed to be good although they are in clincher form. Others will swear by Enve, Zipp etc though it will probably come down to what you can get in your budget.

I've had carbon 46mm tubs for a while and IMO they make a difference, they feel great, roll smoothly, maintain speed and accelerate well. But Aero and 'carbon' are just two facets of what makes a nice wheel.

allanj | 9 years ago
0 likes

Lots about this on the net, consensus seems to be aero faster except on the steepest of climbs. Questions is, as implied above, is that gain sufficient to make them worth the expense and downsides? Downsides are difficulties in crosswinds and braking performance with carbon rims, or weight if carbon with an alu brake track.

Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wanting to go tubular or clincher with these? Race day or all day wheels. I would never never never take carbon clinchers (maybe with the exception of ENVE) to the Alps where long descents on a hot day with bad braking can lead to warped rims or blow outs. Also if you want to go far in the UK, consider how carbon performs in the wet... Not so good!

I honestly believe aluminum wheels can perform much better than carbon clinchers. Can be lower weights, stiffer, etc for considerably less.

Consider wheelsmith. I've ridden the 50mm tubs. Great wheels, couldn't believe how well they climb, plus handbuilt in the UK. Try getting a replacement spoke for a set of Zipps in a hurry!

I think carbon clinchers are abit of a vanity purchase. However a set of carbon tubs for TTing could be worth it!

Latest Comments