Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Parking at Paddington

So I'm about to purchase a new bike so that I can start commuting to work. It's a 20 mile round trip if I go door to door but I'm thinking of just riding to Paddington and parking up there and then getting the train in for the rest of the journey. The reason being that I'd rather just ride on the canal paths and avoid having to go down tottenham court road etc etc.

So the question is...

Does anyone park at paddington and is there often space and have you heard of many thefts happening there?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

CanAmSteve | 9 years ago
0 likes

Riding to Paddington from where? There are two bike parks at Paddington - one for anyone and one for those with season tickets. There are also various nearby locations where a low value bike can be chained up, but I'm confused by your ride and then "train" comment as that implies commuting out of London. Otherwise you would be taking a Tube, not a train.

thesaladdays | 9 years ago
0 likes

[i]If[/i] riding the extra bit of distance means you have access to more secure parking, then by all means do it. Riding in central London takes a bit of getting used to but with some planning, as mentioned in posts above, it's not as bad as it may first appear. There are lots of side streets and quieter alternatives, and even if they're longer they may be faster.

I usually ride the most direct route in the morning because I want to get to the office as soon as possible, but going home I use an alternative route that adds about 3 km but is virtually traffic-free and has long stretches without traffic lights where I can build up a lot more speed. As a result the longer route usually only takes an extra 3-5 minutes.

P3t3 | 9 years ago
0 likes

The old spray with brown paint trick is a good idea too. It can render a decent bike completely valueless in minutes whilst having no effect on functionality.

The missus has an alloy Giant with thanks to the addition of a mix of brown and red paint looks completely rusty! Its been left in dodgy places with the most flimsy decathlon cheapo lock.

I think the trick is to make sure ALL the components get covered, file off any fancy logos on the components.

Kadinkski | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you have a decent new bike, you can guarantee at some stage it will be nicked if you leave it unattended in London.

Mine was only a Specialized that I got 2nd hand but it was under 2 years old. I used to leave at Victoria Station, chained up with 2 d-locks. It was right outside a office with a security guard sitting there in a reception area looking through the glass directly at the bikes. I still can't believe it but someone in broad daylight, in the middle of summer, in a very busy area cut through the locks of the 6 or 7 bikes there and took them all. My theory is they dressed up as an official from the council or something like that. Wankers.

edison replied to Kadinkski | 9 years ago
0 likes

Bloody hell. That is absolutely outrageous.

Cheers for all your thoughts people... basically the choice is buy a crap bike and park at paddington or continue to aspire to owning a nice bike that I can ride whenever I damn well please without the worry that it'll get nicked by some scumbag and ride the entire 10 miles.

Nice

OldRidgeback replied to edison | 9 years ago
0 likes
edison wrote:

Bloody hell. That is absolutely outrageous.

Cheers for all your thoughts people... basically the choice is buy a crap bike and park at paddington or continue to aspire to owning a nice bike that I can ride whenever I damn well please without the worry that it'll get nicked by some scumbag and ride the entire 10 miles.

Nice

A cheap bike doesn't have to be crap. But otherwise, yes. Two bikes are better than one anyway. The clunker can also serve as a winter hack and be used for supermarket runs.

OldRidgeback | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yep, a 20 mile round trip isn't too much. If you plan your route properly you should be able to skip Tottenham Court Road. It is busy and I can appreciate why you'd want to keep away from it. There are a lot of smaller roads in the vicinity that could get you where you want to go without having to endure heavy traffic. Having commuted in London for years I know that taking backstreets means you avoid the traffic pain and if you work out the route carefully, you can also skip a lot of the signalised junctions that cause so many delays. Try a few trial runs on a few Sundays and you can find a route that'll avoid the pinch points.

If you do plan to park your bike at Paddington I'd advise getting a cheap secondhand clunker. You can get something fairly decent to ride for not too much and not have to worry about it. The charity shop down the road from my work has a secondhand Carrera for just £129 for instance. It's nothing special but it's not some heavyweight boat anchor. Another shop nearby has a secondhand Carrera MTB for £110, which I'm thinking of adding to the family collection as it'd suit my son. Use the cheapo for commuting and keep the shiny bike for weekend rides.

Redvee | 9 years ago
0 likes

20 mile round trip = 10 miles each way?

For the sake of security I'd ride each way, 10 miles is a manageable distance and can be ridden well under an hour.

Latest Comments