Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Disc Break Wheel Round-Up

Hello All,

I have the On-One Pickenflick, which I was dead pleased road.cc gave the thumbs up in the CX Awards this year.

I'm taking it on a 12 day tour this summer, all of it on tarmac. So obviously I want to upgrade the wheels.

What with all the disc equipped bikes pouring into the shops this spring/summer surely there are loads of wheel-set options to match. But so far I can only really see Mavic Kysrium as a decent upgrade option. Most retailers barely stock any disc break wheels at all.

Can road.cc please do a 'Disc Brake Wheel-Set Round up' to make sense of what's out there.

I'd be grateful. Thanks, Ian.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

StraelGuy | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've also just ordered a set, they sound like exceptional value for the money:

http://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/wheels/products/mason-x-hunt-f...

Won't be available 'til June though  105 .

Ian Allardyce | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just ordered a set of the Hunt Disc Wheels. Fingers crossed.

jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Pretty thin on the ground, aren't they. I've given up waiting for the market to provide and done a wheelbuilding course.

Problem is I now can't actually find very many suppliers of the parts required - I'm basically looking at Hope 29er hubs, Sapim spokes and some Chinese carbon rims because nowhere sells the bits individually!

Al__S | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've been thinking of upgrading bits on my commuter, wheels included. Looking to go 10/11 spd potentially but not really budgeting £300+ for wheels. What's out there at the cheaper end?

bike_food | 9 years ago
0 likes

Whatever you choose I hope your discs don't break.
Also look at hope hubs with mavic open pros, Merlin cycles are a good shout.

Ian Allardyce | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes, thanks all.

Loads of great options. I'm just hoping the lads at the main website can round them all up into a, err, round-up. Basically because I'm lazy.

And, yes, putting some 25s or 28s on the current Pickenflick wheels (Selkof) would have been an option if I hadn't already hammered them so much off road that they are on their way to being buckled.

My plan is to have a set of CX wheels for dirt riding and set of road wheels for touring. No need to swap over tires every time. It's either that or a new bike and living in a one-bed flat I'm already at n-1.

Cheers, Ian.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

mountain bike 29er sets ?

Leodis | 9 years ago
0 likes

Kinesis Crosslight Disc V3

justinberman | 9 years ago
0 likes

American Classic do a few disc options. I have the Hurricane wheels on my cross bike, they are a bit cheaper than the Ksyriums (around £550 I think) and a lot lighter than the Mavic Aksium disc wheels... I'm quite happy with them. If budget is an issue, they offer a cheaper wheelset, can't remember the name though...

userfriendly | 9 years ago
0 likes

There are quite a few disc wheel sets, from the Novatec CXD (highly rated by road.cc) at 1,465g for ~ £310 up to the Tune Skyliner Disc at 1,125g for ~ £2,000.

In between those two you can find for example the Bontrager Affinity Elite Road Disc, the Stans NoTubes ZTR Alpha 340 Disc, and the Reynolds Stratus Pro Disc. I've probably overlooked a few.

And then there's always the option of having a set built specifically to your requirements, at usually reasonable prices.

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

What is wrong with the wheels that came with the bike, just put on some quality 25mm road tyres and away you go.

Latest Comments