Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sore achilles tendon after first use of clipless pedals

I finally attached my clipless pedals over the weekend and (after spending a while in the back garden, holding on to the bin to practise clipping in and out) ventured on some quiet roads. It wasn't too bad, I only panicked a few times and fell over once, but I did end up with a very sore achilles tendon on the side where I didn't clip in and out as often.  17 Has anyone else had something like that? I'm not sure if I just need to get used to it more or if, on that side, I should adjust the cleats.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Scrufftie | 9 years ago
0 likes

Another thought: soreness of the achilles tendon can be caused by the seat being too low, have your new shoes/pedals changed your leg extension slightly?

gnarlyrider | 9 years ago
0 likes

You may have thought of this, but is this the first time you have used the shoes? Could it simply be the shoe rubbing your tendon?

charlie29 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think I will look into a bike fit, sounds like it's worth it!  1

Scrufftie | 9 years ago
0 likes

I would really recommend getting a bike fit. I had one and moving my cleats into what felt like the wrong position cured 20 years of knee pain

charlie29 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thank you everyone! I will adjust the cleats on the right shoe!  1

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Fore and aft position of cleats, changes the strain on heel achilles. Also see if your toes are facing down slightly whilst riding, this will help with heel strain. The adjustment can be very small but make huge difference in comfort.

My own example is that my summer shoes are fine and I don't suffer with heel pain, but my winter boots are slight thicker in the sole and I get minor heel discomfort.

The.MVP | 9 years ago
0 likes

Agree with the previous comment.

You may need to experiment with fore and aft position of the cleat as well as the angle parallel to the direction of travel, until you find the most comfortable position for you.

I also use cleats that allow a degree of float, I find that little bit of movement helps with comfort.

If you just can't resolve the problem, then a proper fitting might help you get the setup right.

rjfrussell | 9 years ago
0 likes

I moved to clipless for the first time in the summer. First few rides I found my knees getting sore- for the first time ever riding. I have the A530 flat on one side/ clips on the other pedals, so looked very carefully at my foot position clipped in/ on the flat side. There was only a few degrees in it, but my toes were pointing out slightly more when on the flat side. Adjusted the angle of the cleats slightly, to allow this- and, voila, no more pain at all.

So, purely on the basis of my own experience, I would suggest looking very carefully at the position of the cleats, both fore and aft, and the angle, to replicate as closely as possible the position of your foot on the pedals that you are used to.

Latest Comments