Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sore achilles tendon after first use of clipless pedals

I finally attached my clipless pedals over the weekend and (after spending a while in the back garden, holding on to the bin to practise clipping in and out) ventured on some quiet roads. It wasn't too bad, I only panicked a few times and fell over once, but I did end up with a very sore achilles tendon on the side where I didn't clip in and out as often.  17 Has anyone else had something like that? I'm not sure if I just need to get used to it more or if, on that side, I should adjust the cleats.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

charlie29 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I used to cycle in just my running shoes, so the cycling shoes are new. I never had any problems with the tendon when cycling in the running shoes, and I did watch youtube footage and read about how to set them up, but I will try tweaking it on the right foot.  1

Thanks everyone!

3cylinder | 9 years ago
0 likes

Agree, don't push through this, Achilles problems take a long time to fix, and are best avoided.

One datapoint: my cleats centres are ~15mm behind the ball of my foot.

Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd echo what Nick says... could well be that your cleats are too far forward.

Additionally though, are the shoes the same as you have been using or are these new as well?

I ask as if the shoes are lacking support, compared to your normal, this can also create strain on the achilles tendon.

As ever with these things... a bike fit is the most definitive answer, but maybe some on line searches around setting up cleats could get you where you need to be.

In answer to whether you will get used to it... probably not.

Nick0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have you read up on how best to set up the cleats? It can make a noticeable difference. I might hazard a guess and say that the cleats might be too far forward towards your toes.
Also, had you been using the bike on similar distances with flats beforehand, without this complaint? The cleats might elevate your feet compared to a previous position.
Hope that helps,
Nick0

Latest Comments