Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Was it just me.....

Was it just me that saw Hammond from top gear cream in and break the £9000 Dogma?

Once I knew he was alright, I rewind several times, andddddd  24 riding over tramlines on a bike does that to me when a TG presenter is cycling...  21  21
Shame about the rear mech....

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes

Question is who bloody cares. The bike was wasted on Hammond and they deliberately set that up. And on that bombshell.....

Shep73 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I suspect it was staged but went a bit wrong, Not sure why people still watch Top Gear, personally I think it's lost any credibility as show with all the staged rubbish and two of the presenters being door mats who are clearly not allowed to have a different opinion to Clarkson.
I am into cars and also had sportsbikes, and I used to read MCN which Hammond wrote for and was always waxing lyrical about motorbikes yet he will happily stand by and let Clarkson mock other motorcycle riders and bikes.

Kadinkski | 9 years ago
0 likes

I was expecting them to absolutely slate cyclists, but I was pleasantly surprised. They were quite funny and didn't insult the cyclist anymore than they normally insult each other's vehicle choices.

The bits where the cars were pulling out in front of Hammond will hopefully have had some sort of eye-opening effect on the motorists watching.

All good fun anyway.

PonteD replied to Kadinkski | 9 years ago
0 likes
Kadinkski wrote:

The bits where the cars were pulling out in front of Hammond will hopefully have had some sort of eye-opening effect on the motorists watching.

I imagine a lot of drivers will convince themselves that Russia is a crazy place to drive and that a cyclist wouldn't get that sort of treatment on UK roads.

And where's the chorus of "he's not wearing any hi-viz" he's all in black, that surely contributed to his front wheel getting stuck in the tramlines  35

HarryTrauts | 9 years ago
0 likes

You're probably right that the fall was real (as was the second one). I wondered how long it took them to rig all the cameras on the "borrowed" bike? Hammond still managed to catch up, though so not a total loss.

pruaga | 9 years ago
0 likes

What kind of person attempts a cross city commute without a team car with spares on the roof?  3

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

Um, I think the crash might have been real but they will definitely had a back up bike. It looked a bit clean and nippy for a mountain bike they just 'borrowed' off a local lad. That bit was staged I think. Shame he didn't just give the Dogma to the lad.
Perhaps they will sue the City of St Petersburg.
Go team Hamster!

Anyway the clear winner is the Camera motorbikes that easily keep up with everyone.

CygnusX1 replied to Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

Agree that crash was real, along with all the drivers pulling out on him. The borrowed bike was a Merida, couldn't tell you what model though.

fenix | 9 years ago
0 likes

Who willingly falls off a bike? He could have bust a collar bone or arm. They don't really care if a bike wins - it's not serious - it'd just give them another laugh.

Trams plus bikes = crashes. As the news from Edinburgh shows.

farrell replied to fenix | 9 years ago
0 likes
fenix wrote:

Who willingly falls off a bike?

They're usually not the kind to kiss and tell, but I have seen them with Farrah, though not with anything less than a nine.

Al__S | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm not convinced the fall was staged. A lot of Top Gear is, obviously, scripted. But not everything, and I don't think they'd convince Hammond (who after all has had a proper near-death crash in a rocket dragster) to deliberately crash like that on tram tracks. That the tram tracks were "foreshadowed"? well, the voiceovers are recorded after the event. I reckon the crash was real, and the negotiation with the lad to borrow his bike was real (even if done quickly off camera and then filmed for effect).
I think Jeremy going up the beach was staged. The "difficult" progress through the canal was staged, to help make it closer. I'm not convinced the outcome was pre-written- I'm pretty sure it wasn't across London, when the bike won.

Public transport obviously wasn't actually given a fair shot- that was all rigged. my impression there was that it could easily have won even if you'd specified no running...

Quince | 9 years ago
0 likes

It was pretty obvious that tram lines were going to be the plot twist as soon as the trams were mentioned. They couldn't have the bike winning again (that would be boring), and so it needed dispatching in as novel but believable manner as possible.

The actual falling scene didn't look to pleasant though...

N.B. I think it's safe to assume the entire thing is staged, right? Has anyone got a good reason to believe otherwise?

Cyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's top gear buffoons trying to show up cycling again....

And, I don't think there is such a thing as a good way of falling off!!!!!

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Does the doggie have a removable hanger or it the DA Di2 needed along with a new frame and bar tape?

Quite glad it was only a plastic bike with a 'Toyota' groupset.

foot_loose | 9 years ago
0 likes

None of you ever fallen off in a stupid way. I know I have.

bigshape replied to foot_loose | 9 years ago
0 likes
foot_loose wrote:

None of you ever fallen off in a stupid way. I know I have.

nah, i've never fallen off whilst trackstanding at traffic lights or anything like that...  105

pablo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Bloody stupid thing to do you don't need to be a genius to realise tram tracks and bikes don't mix. Twit.

bendertherobot replied to pablo | 9 years ago
0 likes
pablo wrote:

Bloody stupid thing to do you don't need to be a genius to realise tram tracks and bikes don't mix. Twit.

Indeed. Have a word with Edinburgh City Council luv?

Latest Comments