Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheels for a heavy rider

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase some new wheels for my Cannondale CAAD 8 to replace the stock, flexy Maddux RS 3.0's. I have an absolute maximum budget of £350 and would prefer hand built wheels but would consider factory built. They will be used for general riding and a few sportives. I want something that doesn't flex, has black spokes and nipples and can put up with my 98kg (falling slowly) weight. The bike is currently running 10 speed but to have the option of 11 speed would be good. I'm easy either way with regards to tubeless.

Any suggestions please?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

700c | 9 years ago
0 likes

think handbuilt's your best option for your specific needs with colour etc.. However, if you don't go down the handbuilt route, I recommend Campag Zonda as a stiff, hardy wheel.

on special offer they are probably cheaper that the equivalent handbuilts, but my only caveat is that once the rim's worn, they're beyond economic repair since the cost of rebuilding in the proprietary rim/ spoke combination is more expensive than a new pair!

giles | 9 years ago
0 likes

115KG and Mavik Aksiums doing well for the last 4 years!

LondonDynaslow | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes, I would recommend 32 spoke front, 36 spoke rear, Sapim double butted spokes, on a semi-aero 23mm (wide) rim like H Plus Son Archetype. You'll notice a big increase in strength and comfort.

I have Ambrosio Zenith hubs, which are quite nice but I wasn't impressed with the life of the original bearings and they are only 10sp. As they will last a long time and might go on your *next* bike as well, a hub that can take 11sp is a sensible idea, as long as it's not too much more expensive - perhaps 105 or Ultegra hubs? Hope Hubs are delicious but I think they'll be over budget.

I would have a word with Sam Humpheson at Look Mum No Hands, if Old Street isn't too far (perhaps they do mail order anyway).

antihero replied to LondonDynaslow | 9 years ago
0 likes
deblemund wrote:

Yes, I would recommend 32 spoke front, 36 spoke rear, Sapim double butted spokes, on a semi-aero 23mm (wide) rim like H Plus Son Archetype. You'll notice a big increase in strength and comfort.

Yes, this is totally on the money. You should also strongly consider giving tubeless tires a go. One problem that we big guys have is that we tend to cause pinch flats (where the tire compresses the tube against the rim, puncturing it.) Tubeless tires are immune to this problem.

I switched to tubulars (the glue-on tires) some years ago for this same reason, and I haven't had a flat in ages. I wouldn't go for tubulars unless you're willing to do a lot of work yourself, though - the learning curve is somewhat steep. That said, the toughest lightweight wheels in the world are built with 32-spoke Ambrosio Nemesis tubular rims. Even though they only weigh ~1600 grams, they are almost unkillable (and I've tried, believe me.)

LinusLarrabee | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had to replace the wheels on my CAAD 8 because of multiple spokes failures on the stock wheels. I went for cheap and cheerful Mavic Aksium and they never let me down. I was at 106 KG at the time.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

De Ver in streatham is worth a call.

Gringo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the comments so far. I'm in Croydon, South London.

Fignons-ponytale | 9 years ago
0 likes

Worth having a chat with Paul Hewitt up in Leyland, Lancs. A wheel genius if ever there was one and a dashed good chap to boot, (as is his mate Gethin)!
Contact details at www.hewittcycles.co.uk.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

I suggest you get hand built wheels, perhaps with Ambrosio rims.

Well within your budget, as long as you don't go nuts on hubs.

My winter wheels, for my 85kg and big torque/ low revs for example, have tandem type sapim spokes on the drive side, as the builder knows what I can break!

If you say where you are, someone will probably be able to reccomend a local builder for you.

Latest Comments