Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Bike Advice

Hi, looking for some advice.  39
I have been bitten by the cycling bug for the past two years, entering a range of sportive events and also doing a fair few Duathlon's and group rides.
I currently ride a Boardman Road Sport 2014 Limited Edition, pretty much as it came. Only upgrading worn out parts (mainly for like or slightly higher spec nothing fancy).
Now for my daily commute and winter rider this is fine for me but I feel that I could do with an upgrade for event days\nicer weather training rides.
I have been leaning towards the Merida Reacto 500 2015, £1,300. Although still being an alloy frame it is fairly highly spec'ed (Shimano Ultegra).
However with the massive range of sportive bikes and taking into account reduced 2014 models I was hoping for advice.
My budget is around 1,000-1,500 (and preferably be financable as my partner is ok with the upgrade but she isn't happy for me to drop the cash in 1 lump sum so second hand/eBay is probably out).

Thanks for feedback Damian  4

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

frankierae | 9 years ago
0 likes

Daveyravey, I clearly remember reading a post about a Canyon cycle to work purchase back when I was considering buying one, and your comment above (quite rightly) encouranged me to check the details...

I can confirm that they DO support the CTW scheme but can only find it for Ireland at the moment. Worth an email to see if they support the rest of the UK by now though!

http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Benefits_Services/Cycle_to_Work_Scheme/HSE_S...

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/can-you-buy-a-canyon-on-cycle-to...

Hope that helps!

Damian Damo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I may well look into the Cannondale as well, as when I originally started riding I had the CAAD8 2013 & enjoyed the ide alot but unfortunately had it stolen when moving home and it was left out side for a for a while as furniture was moved around inside the house (lovely moving present that was).

frankierae | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm not sure if you can do part payments via internet outlets, but I totally agree with Davey that the likes of Canyon, Rose, Ribble/Dolan etc would be your best bet for that sort of money. The Cycle to Work Scheme might be the way to go about it (I know Canyon and Ribble both do it) if your workplace offers it. It also means you'll be getting a £1000 bike for £600 so perhaps you could go a model or two up...

From the sounds of the mileage you're doing I'd definitely suggest getting a comfortable carbon frame over alloy.

Daveyraveygravey replied to frankierae | 9 years ago
0 likes
frankierae wrote:

I'm not sure if you can do part payments via internet outlets, but I totally agree with Davey that the likes of Canyon, Rose, Ribble/Dolan etc would be your best bet for that sort of money. The Cycle to Work Scheme might be the way to go about it (I know Canyon and Ribble both do it) if your workplace offers it. It also means you'll be getting a £1000 bike for £600 so perhaps you could go a model or two up...

From the sounds of the mileage you're doing I'd definitely suggest getting a comfortable carbon frame over alloy.

I don't think CTW applies to Canyon, they are an internet only German firm. Would like to be proved wrong!

I'm going to the London Bike Show in a couple of weeks, hopefully will reduce my shortlist in one east visit.

Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm in a similar boat budget-wise to you. My short list includes Cannondale Supersix, BMC Teamachine, Orro Oxygen, Kinesis Aithein. These are available through local bike shops and cycle to work.
If the Internet was an option there's the Dolan Tuono, Sensa Aquila, Planet X/Ridley/Ribble and of course Canyon and Rose. Rose seem to have the most appeal of all of them to me, looks, spec, weight, vfm. And you can tweak the spec to your hearts delight, a lot of the specials from the other companies you get what they tell you.

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

why don't you just get a top level bike now and get it over and done with in one swoop  1

Latest Comments