Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Proper shop that sells De Rosas

Does anyone know of a bikeshop in (pref) the South East or even London that sells De Rosas (in particular the idol)?

Theres plenty on the internet but I'd rather give my money to a bricks and mortar store. The de rosa 'find a retailer' function on their website is hopelessly incorrect.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

38 comments

Kadinkski | 9 years ago
0 likes

I wish I could edit the thread title. I would rename this to 'The de rosa buyers club'.

And get Matthew McConaughey to star in it.

brummie_biker | 9 years ago
0 likes

yep, platinum price at ~£3250. If you ask nicely at your LBS you might get a healthy discount (maybe not 12%) but it'll be fitted correctly and set up perfectly for you

sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes

It may be the platinum discount I guess (12%) I just checked again and it's dropped down to gold (5%) as I didn't spend enough last year to maintain it. So £3514 now.

sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes

That's actually fairly handy - I travel through Euston every day!

hampstead_bandit | 9 years ago
0 likes

pretty sure I have seen De Rosa in Halfords new venture Cycle Republic in London.

I went into their Euston Tower store before Christmas to have a nose around, and spotted several if my memory serves me

Not that I am recommending their store, but they have some to "look at", at least  3

sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes

The wheel thing is worth bearing in mind, but I reckon I'll likely get the Di2 bike as is with the heavyish (but fairly bombproof) low end shimano wheels - knowing that I can swap them for better wheels in the future when the fancy takes me.

I'm assuming that all Shimano disc wheels will have the disc in the same place so they can be swapped without any issues regarding alignment - I've not really looked into disc Shimano wheelsets yet though.

Regarding the LBS versus Internet thing - is a local shop likely to match or do something to get closer to the online price in peoples experience? There's a couple of shops vaguely near me who are De Rosa stockists, but I'm having a hard time seeing past the £450 I'd save by buying one from Wiggle, assuming the shop would charge RRP.

Kadinkski replied to sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes
sergius wrote:

The wheel thing is worth bearing in mind, but I reckon I'll likely get the Di2 bike as is with the heavyish (but fairly bombproof) low end shimano wheels - knowing that I can swap them for better wheels in the future when the fancy takes me.

I'm assuming that all Shimano disc wheels will have the disc in the same place so they can be swapped without any issues regarding alignment - I've not really looked into disc Shimano wheelsets yet though.

Regarding the LBS versus Internet thing - is a local shop likely to match or do something to get closer to the online price in peoples experience? There's a couple of shops vaguely near me who are De Rosa stockists, but I'm having a hard time seeing past the £450 I'd save by buying one from Wiggle, assuming the shop would charge RRP.

Wiggle just seems to be the same price as everywhere else - £2,999 & £3,699k which is also the RRP, isn't it....or am I being thick?

brummie_biker replied to sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes

You'll get some money off. Depends on the dealer. It's definitely worth shopping around. Obviously it#s £450 worth of profit they are losing but they won't make a penny if they don't sell it! I would try 2 or 3 dealers to see what the best deal is they would make (possibly free clothes/accessories and a small discount). Remember - if you spend megabucks there then hopefully they'll look after you in the future with services etc.
Ultimately, if you don't get a good deal, you know what you're getting from Wiggle.

Kadinkski replied to brummie_biker | 9 years ago
0 likes
brummie_biker wrote:

You'll get some money off. Depends on the dealer. It's definitely worth shopping around. Obviously it#s £450 worth of profit they are losing but they won't make a penny if they don't sell it! I would try 2 or 3 dealers to see what the best deal is they would make (possibly free clothes/accessories and a small discount). Remember - if you spend megabucks there then hopefully they'll look after you in the future with services etc.
Ultimately, if you don't get a good deal, you know what you're getting from Wiggle.

Yeah, agreed. I don't begrudge anyone making a profit but if they include a proper bikefit in the sale i'll be happy. having said that if it really was £450 cheaper online, well that's a different story.

hmsgenoa | 9 years ago
0 likes

Some of the shops mentioned are no longer De Rosa dealers, but Maglia Rosso, Liphook, Pedal Heaven, Bike Swanky are. Don't forget Corridori at Driftrbridge, Epsom. You have Edwardes in Camberwell & Maison Du Velo in Reigate. Oh and just read Kadinskis misfortune, sorry to hear about that. Plenty of polishing tables, also lying on back, fingers outstretched and aiming to use tricep to get back of hand as close to floor as possible + lying on front on a bed with damaged arm dangling and straightening it from elbow so parallel to body. You can also get these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuIQJgqVIJ8 (look for vids where you rotate them around each other) and doing these exercises gently exercises the tendons higher up your arm. These exercises will help get your arm straight as possible.

Kadinkski replied to hmsgenoa | 9 years ago
0 likes
hmsgenoa wrote:

Some of the shops mentioned are no longer De Rosa dealers, but Maglia Rosso, Liphook, Pedal Heaven, Bike Swanky are. Don't forget Corridori at Driftrbridge, Epsom. You have Edwardes in Camberwell & Maison Du Velo in Reigate. Oh and just read Kadinskis misfortune, sorry to hear about that. Plenty of polishing tables, also lying on back, fingers outstretched and aiming to use tricep to get back of hand as close to floor as possible + lying on front on a bed with damaged arm dangling and straightening it from elbow so parallel to body. You can also get these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuIQJgqVIJ8 (look for vids where you rotate them around each other) and doing these exercises gently exercises the tendons higher up your arm. These exercises will help get your arm straight as possible.

Thanks - that's a really great idea! I've just ordered some baoding balls.

Kadinkski | 9 years ago
0 likes

Oh shit! That's terrible mate - genuinely sorry to hear that. I can empathise somewhat as i can't ride at the moment either (broken hand), no damage to my bike though.

Can you get insurance for the incident?

I'm helping my recovery process by researching my new disc brake bike...but i guess you can't do that as it was a new bike anyway.

Kadinkski | 9 years ago
0 likes

Oh shit! That's terrible mate - genuinely sorry to hear that. I can empathise somewhat as i can't ride at the moment either (broken hand), no damage to my bike though.

Can you get insurance for the incident?

I'm helping my recovery process by researching my new disc brake bike...but i guess you can't do that as it was a new bike anyway.

Zebedee | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think Pedal Heaven in Fleet Hampshire stock them

wingmanrob | 9 years ago
0 likes

Speak to Trev at Liphook Cycles, hugely experienced and is a De Rosa/Willier/Pinarello/Colnago stockist. Very recommended

Nat Jas Moe | 9 years ago
0 likes

De Ver sell De Rosa down in Streatham / Norbury.

ped | 9 years ago
0 likes

Mountain Mania/The Road Room stock De Rosa (Tring, Didcot, or Goring) if that's any good to you.

Brummiebiker | 9 years ago
0 likes
pablo wrote:

I'd like to ask the same question.

I've looked for stockist in the midlands a couple of times and the closest is about 60 miles away if anyone knows of a stockist in the Warwick/Coventry area or up to 30 mile radius i'd be interested as well. Nice that some of the big online retailers stock but i want to try one for size.

Sutton Runner (Sutton Coldfield) supply De Rosa. Spk to Al. http://www.suttonrunner.com

pablo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I might have to go down south by the sounds of it then. we have family living in Epsom my brother-in-law rides box hill at least once a week so a little stop to look at bikes wouldn't be a hard sell. I've looked at bike swanky before. De Rosa make a lovely looking bike I saw them at the Birmingham cycle show shame they don't have more shop based retailers. Sorry to hijack the thread.

SideBurn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cycles Dauphin? Top of Box Hill?
http://www.cyclesdauphin.com/
They don't list De Rosa but I know they used to stock them!

Kadinkski replied to SideBurn | 9 years ago
0 likes
SideBurn wrote:

Thanks, yeah - they do sell them (although they're out of stock just at the moment but can get them in). And they'll do a proper bike fitting as well which is one of the reasons I wanted to get it from a proper shop. I'll pay them a visit - cheers!

SideBurn replied to Kadinkski | 9 years ago
0 likes
Kadinkski wrote:
SideBurn wrote:

Thanks, yeah - they do sell them (although they're out of stock just at the moment but can get them in). And they'll do a proper bike fitting as well which is one of the reasons I wanted to get it from a proper shop. I'll pay them a visit - cheers!

btw I hate you  3 I have always wanted a DeRosa but have never been able to afford one  20 I Should have worked harder at school, feel free to tell me how nice it is just to rub it in! I used to go to Cycles Dauphin (then Dauphin Sport) just to drool over the bikes  105

chris75018 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not strictly a proper bricks n mortar shop, but bikeswanky sell De Rosa let potential buyers take bikes out for a proper ride (ie more than just a ride round the block) before buying - they're in Woking and thoroughly nice blokes

Kadinkski replied to chris75018 | 9 years ago
0 likes
chris75018 wrote:

Not strictly a proper bricks n mortar shop, but bikeswanky sell De Rosa let potential buyers take bikes out for a proper ride (ie more than just a ride round the block) before buying - they're in Woking and thoroughly nice blokes

Thanks, looks interesting. I haven't heard of them before, the prices are better than the usual outlets too. Might give them a call.

Contested Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

Around Christmas I found it pretty tricky to find a shop that's got the Idol in stock, ended up at Tweeks in Wrexham. The UK importer isn't expecting any more until at least the end of Feb. Glad I picked mine up last week!

Kadinkski replied to Contested Will | 9 years ago
0 likes
Contested Will wrote:

Around Christmas I found it pretty tricky to find a shop that's got the Idol in stock, ended up at Tweeks in Wrexham. The UK importer isn't expecting any more until at least the end of Feb. Glad I picked mine up last week!

How is it? Are you happy? What idol did you get?

Contested Will replied to Kadinkski | 9 years ago
0 likes

I went for the Ultegra disc version. It looks bloody gorgeous, really lovely frame with all internal cables and brake lines. Its not lightweight with the discs, but they just work so well. Not had much of a chance to ride it seriously yet, but planning to hit Holme Moss this weekend for a proper workout. Definitely well pleased with it as a step up from my alu Trek.

0 likes
Contested Will wrote:

I went for the Ultegra disc version. It looks bloody gorgeous, really lovely frame with all internal cables and brake lines. Its not lightweight with the discs, but they just work so well. Not had much of a chance to ride it seriously yet, but planning to hit Holme Moss this weekend for a proper workout. Definitely well pleased with it as a step up from my alu Trek.

That's the one I've got my eye on! I just can't go back to rim brakes after trying discs. Please let me know how you feel about it after a decent ride - so hard to find reviews about it.

Contested Will replied to Kadinkski | 9 years ago
0 likes
Kadinkski wrote:
Contested Will wrote:

That's the one I've got my eye on! I just can't go back to rim brakes after trying discs. Please let me know how you feel about it after a decent ride - so hard to find reviews about it.

Well, I didn't make it into the big hills round here what with the snow, but gave it a good 75km today. Love it. Sharp and tight, feels great at speed, and the Ultegra gear is such a snappy step up from my last bike. The discs are great, not over powered just loads of really controllable progressive power. I think it could benefit from a lighter wheelset as the overall package certainly aint the lightest for a £3k bike (although if really bothered by weight discs would be first choice I guess). Anyway a lovely ride, confident and nippy. Just needs a better engine at the mo (damn you Christmas).

The ride was somewhat marred by being knocked off a minute from home by a left turning Rav4.

0 likes
Contested Will wrote:
Kadinkski wrote:
Contested Will wrote:

Well, I didn't make it into the big hills round here what with the snow, but gave it a good 75km today. Love it. Sharp and tight, feels great at speed, and the Ultegra gear is such a snappy step up from my last bike. The discs are great, not over powered just loads of really controllable progressive power. I think it could benefit from a lighter wheelset as the overall package certainly aint the lightest for a £3k bike (although if really bothered by weight discs would be first choice I guess). Anyway a lovely ride, confident and nippy. Just needs a better engine at the mo (damn you Christmas).

The ride was somewhat marred by being knocked off a minute from home by a left turning Rav4.

Thanks for that - sharp and tight is what i'm after! Its definitely on my shortlist to test ride in a couple of weeks once my cast comes off!

Sorry to hear about the rav4 incident - hope no damage was done to the bike.

Oh, and to you  3

Pages

Latest Comments