Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Daft bike box/car question

I'm looking at organising our summer holidays and am keen to take my new steed with us, if I can persuade the family to go somewhere bike friendly! I have access to a bike box, but am trying to work out how I transport it at the other end!

Do you put it on a roofrack, or in the boot? If the boot, then we'll need to get ourselves sorted to pack a lot lighter than we normally do!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

allanj | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Charlie, that is a good thought, and rather less antagonistic than the other suggestions (no offence guys...) or the thought of hiring something huge for the purpose. Back to the planning!  4

charliepalooza | 9 years ago
0 likes

I put the bike box in the boot and stuck on a roof box I already had last year. More aerodynamic, and less chance of your bike being stolen or destroyed when you drive under that low bridge.

HalfWheeler | 9 years ago
0 likes

Pack the car with bike stuff, give the wife and kids train tickets.

number9dream | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well at least you would have the bike, just offer to pedal selflessly on to your destination (even if it takes a day or two) while the family travels in "luxury" in the hire car

allanj | 9 years ago
0 likes

I guess that's part of my question really- the car you get v the one you ask for can be pretty random. I'm not sure I can rely on that though, bringing the bike will not be wholly popular domestically speaking, us ending up in a car hire place with more luggage than space would take that to a whole new level in unhappiness. I need to know it'll work when I get there!

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Heh. Last time I had this dilemma I booked a 'compact estate' from the hire company. A compact estate turned out to be a gigantic Fiat Doblo van-with-windows. Got the box, case for three people and a week's worth of supermarket food n booze in the car!

Latest Comments