Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best road bike under £1000

Hi all,

I got into cycling last year when I lost my licence for six months after ill health. I bought myself a folding bike that I could use to commute to work 12 miles each way so that if the weather was bad or I was tired I could take it on the bus. Little did I know that I would enjoy cycling so much!
I am now looking to upgrade to a road bike as I find my folding bike too slow and I want to travel further as well as taking on a cycling tour of Scotland in September this year. I have been doing quite a lot of research and I have a budget of about £1000 and this is what I am looking for in a bike.

Aluminium frame
Shimano 105 (minimum)
Good for touring, commuting and possibly sportives in the future
Comfortable ride (I'm not getting any younger!!)

I have a shortlist down to 3 at the moment (Giant Defy 0 2015, Cube Peloton SL 2015 or Cannondale Caad8 105) although I am very open to other suggestions.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

jh22v07 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi all,

I've got a very similar set of requirements and thought I'd add on here rather than starting a new topic. I've set myself a budget of £1000 but might stretch to £1300ish for the right bike and am more drawn to aluminium than carbon.

I do longer rides quite frequently and occasional multi-day tours so 100% want something with eyelets for a pannier rack and a reasonably comfortable ride but it seems a massive rarity to get rack mounts these days! I do a few sportives and am getting into triathlons so still want something that can keep up rather than going for an all-out tourer. Things like Defy 0, Canyon Endurace or Rose Xeon Team GF-3000 look ideal apart from those all-important mounts!

The front runner for me at the moment is Raleigh Revenio 3 which I've seen as low as £778 http://www.ashcycles.com/site/raleigh-revenio-3-2015 but can anybody suggest any alternatives? They seem to be few and far between.

Thanks for your help!

JamesE279 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I love my CAAD8, even with the basic SORA groupset, so with 105 you should be very happy.

With fatter tyres and low pressures it should be comfy enough, and with skinny slicks and faster rims you should be able to do some racing. There are eyelets for mudguards too.

Almost any bike at this price point will put a smile on your face.

As others have said, don't forget the bits and bobs, good pedals, bib-shorts, maybe thicker bar tape if you plan on long rides.

J

backflipbedlem | 9 years ago
0 likes

Planet X Pro carbon, Full Ultegra 6800, 11 speed £999

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FBPXSLPULT6800/planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-...

Get it while you can, they change the prices all the time!

Pro Carbon frame is a great frame, and full Ultegra 6800 for under a grand is madness!
Only thing that lets it down a bit is the wheels, Team 30, are a bit of a bitch when changing tyres, as super tight!

I have the SRAM Rival version, and apart from the tyre changing issues I can't fault it!
I bought a VAR tyre lever to help with the tyre changing, so not an issue now!

Poptart242 | 9 years ago
0 likes

The Synapse Disc 105 is alu.

I'm picking up a Defy 0 on Sunday - ultegra gruppo and carbon fork/seatpost. If you're stI'll deciding next week I'm happy to report first impressions.

It was that or the 105 disc... Just ended up with the Giant as I'll be upgrading the wheels soon enough and wanted a little more choice at my range - hence rim brakes. I'm sure the Synapse is cracking though.

ssykes0206 replied to Poptart242 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi there

Would love to know your first impressions - must admit I am starting to lean towards the Giant Defy O as not sure about the disk brakes.

Looking forward to hearing your views.

Many thanks

Poptart242 replied to ssykes0206 | 9 years ago
0 likes
ssykes0206 wrote:

Hi there

Would love to know your first impressions - must admit I am starting to lean towards the Giant Defy O as not sure about the disk brakes.

Many thanks

Looking forward to riding it! Can't wait. I'll let you know.

Should also say, my mate is picking up the Synapse disc this weekend too - will see if I can beg a quick shot on it.

Poptart242 replied to ssykes0206 | 9 years ago
0 likes
ssykes0206 wrote:

Hi there

Many thanks

So, to put it short - I love the thing. 10km in is early for such pronouncements but I'm a hopeless romantic  105

Proper first impressions are that it's super comfy - the rear seat-stays and mad D shaped seatpost really work at the back, and the forks are fairly compliant.

The BB is pretty big, and I made sure to really stamp on the pedals a few times to see what the result would be and it responded really well. All forward, nothing sideways.

Shifting is ridiculous. I know I'm coming from a basic group set but the Ultegra mechs are on another planet in comparison - damn near silent, fast and smooth, even under load. Fairly happy at angles further out too, so I found myself in the big ring far more often than on my Trek. Might upgrade to mid-compact as a result at some point. Haven't touched the 32 tooth yet but nice to know it's there I suppose. Will probably go 11-28 when it wears out.

Handling is predicable. I wouldn't say snappy or adventurous, but I can imagine it carves very well on a twisty descent (my only ride so far had none of this).

Brakes, not actually too bad! I'll probably end up upgrading to Ultegra though.

Hopefully that's enough to be going on - I certainly don't regret buying it  8

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

There are some Canyons worth a look under £1000.

https://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3577

Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like a Kinesis to me - not sure which would best suit your needs but they have a good range and are designed for UK conditions

peterben | 9 years ago
0 likes

The Giant is great value and a great ride

part_robot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Given your requirements for comfort and distance, check out the 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc. I've tried the Defy and a couple of others and the Synapse has the best ride quality for me. Also, the frame is beautifully made. It has lugs for mudguards but nothing for a rack though if that matters.

ssykes0206 replied to part_robot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that. The Cannondale Synapse 105 disc is definitely worth a look.

Daveyraveygravey replied to ssykes0206 | 9 years ago
0 likes
ssykes0206 wrote:

Thanks for that. The Cannondale Synapse 105 disc is definitely worth a look.

Carbon though, isn't it?

bamilton wackad... | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you're planning a cycling tour of Scotland, I'd suggest making sure that the frame has stays for a rear rack - and probably best to make sure it has clearance for mudguards too. I did some light touring in the highlands last year on a bike which had neither - and although it was great fun, I would have killed to have used panniers to cart my stuff around instead of a saddlebag! Remember to leave a bit aside for the stuff that you'll invariably buy for it (good pedals, tyres etc)

Out of the three you've suggested, all the reviews say you can't go wrong with the Defy.

Vejnemojnen | 9 years ago
0 likes
Vejnemojnen | 9 years ago
0 likes

Latest Comments