Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano 105 5800 triple?

The cycling weekly review says there is a triple option for 105 5800.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/gears-drivetrain/shimano-105-grou...

No other review mentions this and I cannot find any triple online anywhere.

Is this just an error in the review?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Metjas | 9 years ago
0 likes

Shimano has dropped the triple with the introduction of the 5800 group; the 10-speed triple is the very last one!

Al__S | 9 years ago
0 likes

the triple isn't listed on the Shimano website at all. Given with the right cassette and chainset you can have 36x34 through to 50x11 is a triple needed with an 11 speed? That's using a 50/34 Compact and an 11-32 cassette.

rjfrussell replied to Al__S | 9 years ago
0 likes
Al__S wrote:

the triple isn't listed on the Shimano website at all. Given with the right cassette and chainset you can have 36x34 through to 50x11 is a triple needed with an 11 speed? That's using a 50/34 Compact and an 11-32 cassette.

I am having a bike built on a Kinesis Tripster ATR frame for a variety of riding types including some touring with panniers etc.

I had been going to go for the old 10 spd Shimano with 11-28 and 30/39/50, but in light of the fantastic things said about 105 5800 11 spd have gone for the new kit with 50/34 compact and 11-32 cassette. Not much difference between 30x28 and 34x32

However, had if 105 5800 been available with a triple, I would probably have gone for that, and back to the 11-28 cassette.

Instinctively I lean to the triple, as I like the fact that most of the time can be spent on the middle ring. For my style of riding (not fast!) about 40t is where I want to be most of the time.

However, if there is no triple available, I will stick with the decision to go with the newer kit, and learn to love the compact!

Judge dreadful | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not yet. The 10 speed 105 groupy has a triple option though

Latest Comments