Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike weights

Is there an accepted convention for what's included when a bike weight is quoted?

Pedals? Bottle cages? Saddle?

Or is it stripped to the essentials with all options removed?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

cptlik | 7 years ago
0 likes

It makes sense not to include pedals etc since this allows a base-line figure to be calculated.  (initially at least) everyone who buys a certain bike will have that bike as the common element.  Everything else: pedals, computers and cages etc will be unique to the purchaser; it doesn't make sense to include these in the published weight.  What e.g. pedals would they use?

P3t3 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I kind of agree with NOT publishing complete bike weights. Its a nice metric for the punter to use to buy the wrong bike. The "right" bike has to be worth at least a couple of kg...?

unistriker | 9 years ago
0 likes

On websites its very rare to see actual quoted weights... This annoys me. Canyon only seem to publish weights openly.

Weight does not officially say whats included but i imagine its WITHOUT pedals, computers and bottle cages.

With Seat and seatpost.

Probikes have to 6.8kilos which can include pedals, bottlecages, computers, Lead weights. EXCLUDE WATER BOTTLES FILLED UP no ?

youngoldbloke replied to unistriker | 9 years ago
0 likes

Rose do too - whether accurate or not is another thing.

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Seat on, no pedals or bottles cages. Any bike that weighs 20lb or less is light. 15 lb is super light.

il sole replied to CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

Seat on, no pedals or bottles cages. Any bike that weighs 20lb or less is light. 15 lb is super light.

that's right. I however, like to include pedals and 2 bottle cages...like that mine's in at 6.7Kg...

rjfrussell replied to il sole | 9 years ago
0 likes
il sole wrote:
CXR94Di2 wrote:

that's right. I however, like to include pedals and 2 bottle cages...like that mine's in at 6.7Kg...

Is it filled with helium?

Oolon Colluphid replied to rjfrussell | 9 years ago
0 likes
rjfrussell wrote:
il sole wrote:
CXR94Di2 wrote:

Not that unusual these days. My aluminium Rose weighs 7kg with Campag Athena groupset and Zonda wheels  1

Jimmy Ray Will replied to Oolon Colluphid | 9 years ago
0 likes
Oolon Colluphid wrote:
rjfrussell wrote:
il sole wrote:
CXR94Di2 wrote:

Not that unusual these days. My aluminium Rose weighs 7kg with Campag Athena groupset and Zonda wheels  1

I reckon there might be an argument for checking your scales there! 7kg seems light for an alloy frame, mid range group and average wheels... Unless your finishing kit is properly special.

As an aside, it always annoys me when people quite weights without pedals, cages, computer... basically everything that you'd anticipate needing to ride the bike. A bit like me weighing myself and then claiming a weight minus the 5lbs of fat I could easily lose...

il sole replied to rjfrussell | 9 years ago
0 likes
rjfrussell wrote:
il sole wrote:
CXR94Di2 wrote:

1 no, lightweight Wilier Zero.7, shamal ultra wheels and a very recent upgrade to 2014 super record  4

Latest Comments