Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Thoughts on a new commuter bike.

Hi everyone, I'm new here so please be gentle.

I currently own a Specialized Langster but am selling it off for something a bit nicer. I've had my eyes on the Planet X XLS Flat Bar as I like the fact that it's full carbon and is designed to do a little bit of everything. I was thinking of putting some risers on it as I come from a mountain biking background and I like that positioning.

Most of the riding that I will do will be commuter and weekend riding, mostly on tarmac but also some Canal paths into the city. Does anyone own this bike or have any opinions on this as a choice?

Cheers,

Ed

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Leodis | 9 years ago
0 likes

If I was going flarbar I would want Hydr disc brakes for that price.

alotronic replied to Leodis | 9 years ago
0 likes
Leodis wrote:

If I was going flarbar I would want Hydr disc brakes for that price.

Totally! Hydros on a town bike are an excellent choice and cheapie shimano hydros are good enough for all but 'proper' MTBing.

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

Was going to suggest the dirty disco. When I was looking the other day, the Dirty Disco was the only planetX/On-One frame I could see where the rear brake is mounted inside the rear triangle. Not really a deal breaker, but if you are fitting mudguards or a rack, it will make life easier as the rear brake housing won't be sat exactly where you want to mount the left hand stay.

If you do go Planet X I'd try and get it without the FSA cranks and go shimano. The crank itself is fine, but the bottom bracket is overpriced junk.

Latest Comments