Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Split link wearing quicker than rest of chain.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and whether it is normal. I regularly check my chain for wear, but usually just measure at random places along its length.

Tonight I've just measured my chain and it's still shows as being fine when I measure across any length of chain. However, out of curiosity I made sure I measured across the split link (SRAM powerlink?) and the chain wear indicator just dropped straight through showing it needs replacing. I'm assuming the link is at fault and not the rest of the chain.

Is it normal to expect your chain to wear at the split link before anywhere else? I( was under the impression that chains wore uniformally).

Alternatively, do you think the split link is on its way out? I've ordered a couple of replacement links so it will be replaced in the next few days, but don't like the idea of replacing split links every couple of hundred miles.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

antonio | 9 years ago
0 likes

I was heaving my bike up a steep hill when the split link, more like explode, found two pieces on opposite sides of the road, never found the third bit. A long scoot (think hobby horse) to a bike shop for new links (two pack) thus ensuring I now have a spare to carry.

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got some spare links in my bag now (just got to remember the correct links for whichever bike I'm on), I'm just going to sit it out and wait and see. I'll keep measuring and monitor the rest of the drive train and just wait and see.

Shades | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had a new SRAM chain and the Powerlink 'exploded' as I was going uphill. Got a new Powerlink and I think that chain is still on the bike.

bigmel | 9 years ago
0 likes

You need to understand why chains get longer.
The inner pair of connecting plates are loose to rotate around the pin (held in place by the outer side plates). The constant rotating of the inner plates against the pin cuts grooves into the pin. This action will be the same on the normal pins and on the split link.
http://thegoldenwrench.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/what-do-you-mean-my-chain-...

I suspect that what you are measuring is some design difference on the split link rather than any difference in wear on the link itself. Given how cheap the links are why not replace with a new one? If the measurement is still "different" then you know the original link has life left in it !

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

So are you suggesting this is normal, and even a new link would be slack and you'd expect it to be a little longer over the link? Maybe I'll just keep an eye on it, obviously if it continues to wear at a greater rate than the rest of the chain then I'll replace it (I still need the spare links, since getting the new bike, I don't have any 10 speed links for the repair kit).

Jack Osbourne snr | 9 years ago
0 likes

Consider this...

How much force is required to push a quick link through a roller?

Now consider...

How much force is required to push a traditional pin through?

If you can spot a difference you have found the key... If not, get a new chain, a new link and replicate your measurement... Then you'll either know the answer or be on your third pin and chain.

CanAmSteve | 9 years ago
0 likes

Interesting info - possibly the split links are made to a slightly different length and therefore should not be part of the "wear measure" section. I would love to hear what the link manufacturer says

MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes

The link it's self has probably not worn. Being quite hard stainless steel it may well have worn the carbon steel rollers out more quickly than the rest of pins on the chain would do.

Latest Comments